He has not come out of hibernation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mareg

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Corona, CA
No out yet! I'm curious when they all start coming out! Usually Mr.T my desert tortoise bones out about now. He is turned in his house but still sleeping.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
RE: He has not come out of hybernation

I think it was another case of the famous auto correct. Her desert tortoise, Mr. T, usually COMES out about now. (Note punctuation :p )

My desert tortoises came out last week (Central California and a very mild winter).

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal

My DTs are up, but I still have 2 Russians that have emerged. I'm starting to get worried about them. :(

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA

mine are up and its been cold here.. if you have warm weather.. Id get him up.. maybe he is not well. and the sooner you get him up and check the better....

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California

When did he go into brumation? Is he brumating indoors or outside in a natural burrow?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England

In the UK I know of one tort that hibernated himself at the end if September (a garden disappearer who could not be found)

He woke a few days ago after nearly 6 months with minimal weight loss.

I would not be too concerned, but there is nothing stopping you getting them up yourself now.

Mareg

5 Year Member
Corona, CA
Yes it was auto correct. Sorry. I'm thinking of coaxing him out this weekend.

Mareg

5 Year Member
Corona, CA
He is not outdoors for hibernation. He is in the garage with a wood house and potato sack. He went into hb about mid November.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I would pull him out now. I would bring his whole box into the warmer part of the house....expose him to a little mood lighting (not bright light right away) ....and let him sit there for about an hour....then I would lift him out of the box and set him on the ground in the house so he can get his bearings that he is no longer in the box and let him sit there about 15 minutes....then I would get a warm bath set up for him in a place that you can keep the water warm for at least an hour....(I would put a little water in the soaker first and then have the remaining warm water set up and aside, I would place him in the water and slowly slowly slowly pour the remaining warm water over his shell) and then let him soak for about an hour...

I do not know what temp your garage reaches (warmest) but if he has been down since you are going on 18 weeks of down time...and since we have had the warmer weather mixed in with the cool days I believe you need to get him out and moving.....

A CDT can be very polite in nature....not causing too much of a ruckus and not fussing alot (some do, but most do not) and this can be taken as they are still asleep....and if a CDT is placed in complete darkness they will stop fussing...this does not mean that they should....lol....it is very important, in my opinion, to get this guy moving....

Does he usually live outdoors when he is not brumating? Does he have a burrow outdoors? Or is he in indoor tort most of the year?
:D

Mareg

5 Year Member
Corona, CA
Thank you Ascott. He lives outdoors. Mostly on the grass and patio. We have an outdoor house for him to go into too.

Did my photo up load? Still new here

Attachments

• image-2191809185.png
    image-2191809185.png
    732.2 KB · Views: 12
Status
Not open for further replies.