head bobbing?

gozzilla

I've recently purchased a sulcata hatchling and every hour or so it takes 2 or three minutes bobbing it's head. Also how much will the hatchlings eat a day, I keep a bowl of greens and some finally chopped veggies in with him and also take him outside to walk around, get uvb, and eat the grass. How do I know if he's eating enough?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
The head bobbing is breathing.

Please read these to make sure you are up to date on all the latest care info. There is a lot of old, out-dated, incorrect info still circulating around "out there" in the world. Following the old advice can be fatal for your tortoise.

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
Yeah, torts don't have diaphragm muscles to help them breath so they bob their heads in and out and pump their front legs. This is how they move air in and out.

gozzilla

I thought that it was it breathing, but I wasn't certain because it wasn't constantly doing it. also would two mustard green leafs, a few chopped up veggies, and grazing for a couple of hours be enough food or does it need more?

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
Grass and broad leaf weeds are better than store bought foods. Check out toms care sheets, there's a food list is there somewhere.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I thought that it was it breathing, but I wasn't certain because it wasn't constantly doing it. also would two mustard green leafs, a few chopped up veggies, and grazing for a couple of hours be enough food or does it need more?

What "veggies"? They need weeds, grass and leaves. Not veggies.

I linked a feeding sheet in my previous post with all sorts of food suggestions.

I would let the baby graze as much as it wants.

tristanlook67

I also recently bought a hatchling sulcata just over a month old I take it outside for a half hour every day for grazing and uvb is that enough

gozzilla

I linked a feeding sheet in my previous post with all sorts of food suggestions.

the veggies are in short amount, and thosr sre just stuff like mustards, turnips, collards, yellow squash, and cucumber all in short amounts. The reason I was asking was to find out how much he is suppose to eat a day to make sure he wasn't eating to much or to little. And I have clipped grass throughout his enclosure. And as long as the weather is good I have him out for about 2 hours to walk and graze everyday.

gozzilla

the veggies are in short amount, and thosr sre just stuff like mustards, turnips, collards, yellow squash, and cucumber all in short amounts. The reason I was asking was to find out how much he is suppose to eat a day to make sure he wasn't eating to much or to little. And I have clipped grass throughout his enclosure. And as long as the weather is good I have him out for about 2 hours to walk and graze everyday.[/QUOTE

Also with the weeds, how do I know which are which?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I put a big pile of food on the plate each morning. If there are leftovers, I feed a little less the next day. If they eat it all up right away, I'll give them a bit more. I find they actually eat less of there is a big pile to munch on all day every day.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
The turnip greens mustard greens and collard greens are okay to feed. As well as grass. I would let him eat all he wants outside and just keep experimenting with the amount of food inside. If he is leaving a lot in the bowl by the end of the day and you're throwing it out then maybe give a little less the next day if he eats every single bit of it then maybe a little more. They probably can't over eat as long as they are getting exercise. It is my opinion however that if they do not have enough room to exercise that they could over eat. That is debatable however.

gozzilla

The turnip greens mustard greens and collard greens are okay to feed. As well as grass. I would let him eat all he wants outside and just keep experimenting with the amount of food inside. If he is leaving a lot in the bowl by the end of the day and you're throwing it out then maybe give a little less the next day if he eats every single bit of it then maybe a little more. They probably can't over eat as long as they are getting exercise. It is my opinion however that if they do not have enough room to exercise that they could over eat. That is debatable however.
He has a indoor enclosure thats about 3 foot by 1 and a half foot. And an outdoor enclosure that's 3 foot by 3 foot. will this be ok for now?

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I think that sounds like a good size. I have not had a hatchling but that will probably work for now.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
He has a indoor enclosure thats about 3 foot by 1 and a half foot. And an outdoor enclosure that's 3 foot by 3 foot. will this be ok for now?
I like to use bigger enclosures than that, but it will do for a short time.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I like to use bigger enclosures than that, but it will do for a short time.
Is it true that they can grow up to 12 inches in one year? Or is that an exaggeration? Either way it will soon be time to make plans for a bigger enclosure.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Is it true that they can grow up to 12 inches in one year? Or is that an exaggeration? Either way it will soon be time to make plans for a bigger enclosure.

I suppose it is physically possible, but not very likely to reach 12" in their first year. 8-9" is perfectly reasonable to expect for one that was started correctly and raised right. 50 pounds for a 4-5 year old female is possible too, under favorable conditions.

gozzilla

How can I tell if he using the bathroom? He is on a fertilizer free soil and and I can't tell if he is or if he isn't because it blends in.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
How can I tell if he using the bathroom? He is on a fertilizer free soil and and I can't tell if he is or if he isn't because it blends in.

You should be soaking daily, and they will usually poop in their soaking water.

You are soaking daily, aren't you?