head bobbing?

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
California
Hatchlings are know for eating their own poop. It may be eaten before you have a chance to remove it from the enclosure.

gozzilla

You should be soaking daily, and they will usually poop in their soaking water.

You are soaking daily, aren't you?
I am, about five to ten minutes every morning. But he doesn't poop in the water, is that unusual? and I found it btw lol. How often do they poop?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I am, about five to ten minutes every morning. But he doesn't poop in the water, is that unusual? and I found it btw lol. How often do they poop?

Go for 20-30, but make sure the water stays warm. Refresh as needed. Soaking half under the heat lamp can work, but watch temps carefully. Sometimes just using a op on your soaking container will hold the heat in. Babies don't usually poop much in their first two or three weeks. Do you know the hatch date on yours?

gozzilla

Go for 20-30, but make sure the water stays warm. Refresh as needed. Soaking half under the heat lamp can work, but watch temps carefully. Sometimes just using a op on your soaking container will hold the heat in. Babies don't usually poop much in their first two or three weeks. Do you know the hatch date on yours?
Ok I'll increase the soak times. But today I noticed he pooped around 3 ties today. Is this bad? And i do not know the hatch date, but he is around 3 inche.

Last edited:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I cannot.

Time to get a scale. This is a useful way to track your tortoises health and well being. Kitchen gram scales can be picked up at Target, Walmart or Sears for around $20-30. This is a useful tool for evaluating things in your tortoises life.

gozzilla

Time to get a scale. This is a useful way to track your tortoises health and well being. Kitchen gram scales can be picked up at Target, Walmart or Sears for around $20-30. This is a useful tool for evaluating things in your tortoises life.
Ok I might be able to pick one up today. And is the using the bathroom 3 times in one day ok? He is eating a lot and everything.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Depends upon how much they eat. Well-fed babies poop a lot.

gozzilla

I was finally able to get a scale. He is 55g is this good for a hatchling?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I was finally able to get a scale. He is 55g is this good for a hatchling?

55 is good, but it really depends on his age, which we don't know. Weigh him and keep track once or twice a week and lets see what happens over the next couple of weeks. Ideally you will see a steady gain.