Head Bobbing & Too Much Soaking? Questions

OliveW

Location (City and/or State)
Branford, FL
Hopefully these are the last two questions I have for awhile.

First, why is my boy head bobbing all of a sudden? I can see him from the back window, where we have his enclosure now. I look out there to check on him all the time and yesterday, several times, he was sitting with his front out of his burrow, bobbing his head. I saw him do that three times in one day, although I've never seen it prior.

Second question. I'm worried that soaking him every day is too much. I say this because he has started pooping what looks like undigested grass in his soak water. He always poops in a soak, but his poop used to be much more poop looking. My concern is that I'm forcing it out of him with a soak and not giving him enough time to digest his nutrients.

The only water he has in his enclosure now is a 14" clay bottom to a pot that is deep enough for him to sit in, but he never has that I'm aware of. It's not big enough, but haven't found anything else that is not slippery for him to get out of. We're thinking about just digging him a shallow pond in his enclosure, and putting a sprinkler over there part of the day since he loves showers. And that brings me to yet another concern. Is it okay to have cold water from the hose on a sprinkler? He takes his showers lukewarm.

I feel like I raised four babies/children with less uncertainty. I suppose that's because I have maternal instinct. Since I'm not a tortoise, I just don't want to mess up with my already badly pyramided boy.

Thank you in advance for all advice!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That's something they do when they're wanting to fight or intimidate another tortoise. Maybe there was a rock or a figurine or something he was looking at that he wanted to chase out of his yard???

Another thing about head bobbing, it's not quite "bobbing," but young tortoises move their front legs in and out slightly and their head moves up and down just a bit when they breathe. Quite normal.

What you feed is what makes the quality of the poop. More fiber firms it up. Does he get any grass? Also edible leaves like grape or mulberry would firm up the poop.

OliveW

Branford, FL
That's something they do when they're wanting to fight or intimidate another tortoise. Maybe there was a rock or a figurine or something he was looking at that he wanted to chase out of his yard???

Another thing about head bobbing, it's not quite "bobbing," but young tortoises move their front legs in and out slightly and their head moves up and down just a bit when they breathe. Quite normal.

What you feed is what makes the quality of the poop. More fiber firms it up. Does he get any grass? Also edible leaves like grape or mulberry would firm up the poop.

We did add a rock to his enclosure!!! Thank you so much, I'm taking it out!

He eats all grass except the last few days he has gotten some "treats" of romaine and a small bit of cucumber. Perhaps I gave him too much?

Thank you so much, @Yvonne G! You just fixed both concerns for me. 😍 :<3:

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Head bobbing is very very normal & also how they thermoregulate their overall temperatures (especially if you have your Sully set up outside). Our 125 lb Sully does this all the time - sits in her shed, head out & head bobbing & checking out the environment. So, i would suggest you check your temperatures as well.

Food… & soaking. I see Yvonne responded. Keep soaking - it’s the tried & true method for good shell hydration. No sense reinventing the wheel.

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Cucumber can help make poo less solid. Keep the rocks, there has to be interest in the enclosure. As mentioned check temps and ensure there is shade.

OliveW

Branford, FL
I took the rock out because I don't want to have him stressed all the time. Rocks are a rarity in Florida, so I added it for interest, it's about the size of my Sully. I feel like since he gets out to walk the property for 2 hours a day, he gets to see plenty that interests him. Morning and evening.

Any suggestions of things I can add for interest that don't make him feel threatened?

He does have shade, but thinking we need to add some more, as it's all sun in the morning, and gets more and more shade as the day progresses. His burrow is on the end that gets shade last, so it's been on my mind to add a canopy anyway.

As always, you guys rock!

OliveW

Branford, FL
Okay, hooked little homie up with a shade canopy on the burrow end of his enclosure, and an all day misting in another spot.

It's all rigged from what we already had, but he can't reach anything, nothing he can get injured on, and it works.

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
I took the rock out because I don't want to have him stressed all the time. Rocks are a rarity in Florida, so I added it for interest, it's about the size of my Sully. I feel like since he gets out to walk the property for 2 hours a day, he gets to see plenty that interests him. Morning and evening.

Any suggestions of things I can add for interest that don't make him feel threatened?

He does have shade, but thinking we need to add some more, as it's all sun in the morning, and gets more and more shade as the day progresses. His burrow is on the end that gets shade last, so it's been on my mind to add a canopy anyway.

As always, you guys rock!

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
It is good for them not to see the other side of the enclosure so maybe add some logs, branches, pipes etc...test they can not get stuck in etc.. this will encourage exploring.