Healthy Russian Tortoise eyes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kira

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Bay Area, California
I need help. With the help of a Petsmart lady, my russian had a bad uv bulb for a couple days. (literally two) His eyes look perfectly fine, his bulbs are fine now, and he gets plenty of natural UVB. But I would like to know or see what healthy eyes look like? Pictures would be great, but explaining it would be just as good! Thanks!

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
Congrats on your new tortoise! Most likely 2 days of using a coil bulb did not damage its eyes at all. I bet that Petsmart would even take the coil bulb back and refund you.

Healthy tortoise eyes are bright and sparkly, not runny, and no crusties around them. They shouldn't be too sunken - that shows dehydration.

I attached a pic of little Jill, she has healthy eyes that you can zoom in on if you want.

Jill basking.JPG

kira said:
I need help. With the help of a Petsmart lady, my russian had a bad uv bulb for a couple days. (literally two) His eyes look perfectly fine, his bulbs are fine now, and he gets plenty of natural UVB. But I would like to know or see what healthy eyes look like? Pictures would be great, but explaining it would be just as good! Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Yup....bright, alert---plump (not bulging) and a tortoise that is use to humans will generally watch what we weird creatures do when we are within leering distance....lol

rhondak

10 Year Member!
Ohio
kira said:

I was able to take my coil UVB bulb back to our PetSmart. I just told them that it was causing my tortoises eyes to swell. They gave me a full refund.

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
Big, clear, and black is what you want to see when you look at your torts eyes :)

Glad you got a refund!

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
Both should be wide open, clear, wet, shiny (not dull), without residue.

Attachments

• IMAG0648.jpg
    IMAG0648.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 61

kira

5 Year Member
Bay Area, California
Thanks for all your replies guys. Thankfully my torts eyes are fine! The pictures & discriptions were great. I'm a new owner & I'm trying to get it right the first time! But thanks again! His eyes look just like the ones given in the pictures, so I'm pretty relived!

Status
Not open for further replies.