Healthy tort?

Location (City and/or State)
Pennsylvania
So I am very new to the tortoise world and I recently bought a Russian tortoise her name is elphaba and I'm not sure how old she is . since I am new, I'm very concerned about keeping her healthy and happy. Does her shell look healthy and any advice on how to keep her healthy and happy?20180204_142530.jpg 20180212_202815.jpg

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
If you got your tortoise from petsmart or petco, it is wild caught and 5-10 years old. There isn’t really a way to tell exactly.
You can’t really tell if a tortoise is healthy just by looking at it most of the time. Please post pictures of your enclosure :)

Pennsylvania
This is her enclosure. There is a lid sort of thing that goes over the darker end for her to hide out in. Thank you for your help btw20180212_214324.jpg

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Your enclosure looks pretty nice, but it’s a bit barren. Try adding more hides, decorations, etc.
Also look into building a bigger enclosure. Adult Russian tortoises need a minimum enclosure size of 8x4 feet.
I’d say your tort is in good hands :)

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
If you don’t have a uvb light, you need one. Uvb lights allow for the absorption of calcium, and are crucial for proper bone growth.
There are two good ones. Mercury vapor bulbs, which put out both uvb and heat but only last 3-6 months and aren’t completely reliable, or long tube fluorescents that last a very long time.
When you get one, make sure that it’s not a coil or compact. They don’t put out very much uvb, and are known to burn tortoise’s eyes.

Pennsylvania
If you don’t have a uvb light, you need one. Uvb lights allow for the absorption of calcium, and are crucial for proper bone growth.
There are two good ones. Mercury vapor bulbs, which put out both uvb and heat but only last 3-6 months and aren’t completely reliable, or long tube fluorescents that last a very long time.
When you get one, make sure that it’s not a coil or compact. They don’t put out very much uvb, and are known to burn tortoise’s eyes.
Ok thank you I didn't know I needed both uvb and heat lamps. I will get that very soon! Is there any types of foods or calcium blocks that you would recommend feeding her also?

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Ok thank you I didn't know I needed both uvb and heat lamps. I will get that very soon! Is there any types of foods or calcium blocks that you would recommend feeding her also?

Cuttle bones are great, and a pinch of phosphorus free calcium powder once-twice a week on food should be enough.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Also, like trickspiration said, make sure you get a proper light fixture for the heat lamp, and hang it from the top. It’s impossible to accurately gauge the temperature, and is a fire risk. You are turning the light off at night, right?

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Be sure to put a water dish in. Terra cotta saucers are great for this, because they are shallow, and allow for the tort to easily climb in and out. You read the links at the beginning, right?

Pennsylvania
Be sure to put a water dish in. Terra cotta saucers are great for this, because they are shallow, and allow for the tort to easily climb in and out. You read the links at the beginning, right?
I do turn the light off at night and I read parts of them every day I don't have much time to sit and read it all at once bc of my job and school work but I read them whenever I have time

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
I do turn the light off at night and I read parts of them every day I don't have much time to sit and read it all at once bc of my job and school work but I read them whenever I have time

It is very important to read the links, so before you go to bed or when you have time, give them a read. The information you need is there.

Reactions: Tom