Heartbreaking story wants me to fix it right now.....

Gooch

Hello guys, I just saw a post on Facebook saying that their russian tortoise got attacked by his cat because it jumped into his open topped table. As some of you may know, I just built a new tortoise table, and now I really want to buy or make some screen tops for it. I have 2 screen lids that will fit a 20 gallon aquarium, and they cover up like a third of the table. Do you guys have any ideas on makeshift lids for my tortoise table They cant be airtight because my table still needs to air out. Thanks!!!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Just remember, the screen filters out most of the UVB rays, so you'll have to cut light-size holes in it. Another little note of advice - cats really love, LOVE laying on the screen, causing it to eventually sag and fall in. Maybe a small board across from side to side in a couple different spots.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
If you use 1/2" hardware cloth as the screen you can put the light on top. It will not filter out UVB as probably 95-98% will pass right through the 1/2" mesh. It is very strong and will definitely protect against a cat. Build a frame for it and, as Yvonne suggests, put a couple braces running across.

Gooch

Thanks for the advice guys. @Yvonne G The screens that I used are metal, so they won't sag as much. And yes, i have caught my cat just chilling on the screens staring at my tortoise :p @Markw84 I think I have some of that hardware cloth. Will i have to put some more water based polyurethane on the 2 pieces of 2x4 on each side of the enclosure that will hold up the screen? I am kinda sick and tired of sealing everything xD

Gooch

Never mind, I just spent 5 minutes making a screen top that works perfectly!

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Thanks for the advice guys. @Yvonne G The screens that I used are metal, so they won't sag as much. And yes, i have caught my cat just chilling on the screens staring at my tortoise :p @Markw84 I think I have some of that hardware cloth. Will i have to put some more water based polyurethane on the 2 pieces of 2x4 on each side of the enclosure that will hold up the screen? I am kinda sick and tired of sealing everything xD
You wouldn't need to seal the frame for the screen except for esthetics, since it is an indoor enclosure.