Heartbroken and need to vent to ppl who understand

TortloverPM

Location (City and/or State)
Cape Coral Florida
Wonder how they deal with a basic “dog house”..... You should call some local TV station with a consumer advocate type department. Go on TV lambasting goofy county regs for an animal’s house...
I think the house is fine just the walls that's the issue idk tho u need a permit for one of those already built small plastic sheds u buy at like home depot. So it wudnt suprise me if u need a permit for a doghouse too.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
I think the house is fine just the walls that's the issue idk tho u need a permit for one of those already built small plastic sheds u buy at like home depot. So it wudnt suprise me if u need a permit for a doghouse too.

TBH - i guess they don’t want ramshackle non-secure “sheds“ blowing about during hurricanes....

good luck

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I agree completely. Why tho I have no idea we're quiet, never been in trouble, our neighbors like us (as far as I know) and they all were amazed with him they thought hes neat. And I spent a good amount of money finishing the outside of the walls with 2x12s etc just to make sure it wasnt an eyesore. And it's not the tort that's the problem nor the fact that it's a tort enclosure it's a 4 walled structure that we did without any permits (didnt know I needed anything like that) but apparently we needed permits, it has to b compliant with hurricane codes and something abt a 4 walled structure needing concrete slab foundation? We avoided HOAs like the plague cuz we mind our business and we didnt want as anyone telling us what to do with our house, lawn/yard etc.. I just got off work so I'm gna look into the codes and how to appeal, price of fence etc. I'm glad u guys all think this is as crazy and ridiculous as I do. He acted like this was all common knowledge. Oh and when I googled it a lil bit on my break. I read this. Let me find out how to post this screenshot. Read definition of animal. This is the kind of ppl we r dealing with. That sentence further ruined my faith in humanity
What size structure are we talking about? Can we see a pic? Is a dog house a "four walled" structure to them? What about a Tuff Shed? Need a permit for that?

queen koopa

Las Vegas Nevada
I've never heard of such non-sense. I know of no place in the country that has codes for a tortoise enclosure. That is none of their business. And why would you need concrete? That will damage the feet and plastron and injure your tortoise!

I'd be all over this A-hole. Who is this person, who is their boss, what the hell are they talking about? Fight this. This is total BS. I thought CA was the worst place in the country for stuff like this. Never heard of it in FL. People move to FL to get away from tyranny like this. Ask to see the statutes that are allegedly being violated. I call BS. No way is this legit. You are being harassed and hassled for some reason.
I agree. Major bs. In many states people own dogs and cats with no fence requirements. Really think something missing here

turtlesteve

10 Year Member!
I still am having a hard time following. It sounds like they are OK with the tortoise pen, but he has a night box that is being called a structure that was built without permitting? Or is the box OK, but the enclosure walls are being called a structure? Did they give you anything in writing? I would call someone in code enforcement (or look up the local ordinances) to get a clear definition on what defines a structure versus what doesn't. I'm completely confused at this point though...

TortloverPM

Cape Coral Florida
Correct me if
Greetings again. Maybe upload some pictures of your back garden/tortoise yard area. Maybe we can come up with some ideas. Concrete “retaining” walls - call them flower beds - might be an option. These can be purchased pretty cheaply, moved by hand and into place.

There has to be an “appeal” process. Cant believe they can demand such harsh removal w/o offering an appeal.

good luck
Correct me if I'm wrong but I could only appeal if actually fined with a violation right? We agreed( in the moment ) to take it down by Monday so we wouldn't get one. So not sure how that's gna work?

TortloverPM

Cape Coral Florida
Sorry guys after being
I still am having a hard time following. It sounds like they are OK with the tortoise pen, but he has a night box that is being called a structure that was built without permitting? Or is the box OK, but the enclosure walls are being called a structure? Did they give you anything in writing? I would call someone in code enforcement (or look up the local ordinances) to get a clear definition on what defines a structure versus what doesn't. I'm completely confused at this point though...
Sorry I am too I was very upset at the time plus not being familiar with codes it was alot to take in. But it is the walls that is the problem. His house was homemade diy also but basically like a large wooden dog house with slight modifications to fit a tort. From what I've been able to read online outdoor dog areas/enclosures/runs have to be no larger than 100 square feet and chain link type fencing. Which neither will do for a tort. I'm still trying to research it more to try to find a way around it.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Sorry guys after being

Sorry I am too I was very upset at the time plus not being familiar with codes it was alot to take in. But it is the walls that is the problem. His house was homemade diy also but basically like a large wooden dog house with slight modifications to fit a tort. From what I've been able to read online outdoor dog areas/enclosures/runs have to be no larger than 100 square feet and chain link type fencing. Which neither will do for a tort. I'm still trying to research it more to try to find a way around it.

You could still put up chain link fence, but just along the ground level, keep your wooden perimeter as a sight barrier. No?

Mikki

Spring Hill, Fl
Thankyou

Thankyou I know u guys get it. Only resolution I can think of is to fence our property which just isnt financially possible and he didnt exactly give us a whole lot of time .by tom morning he will b chilling in the garage while I'm at work making a million phone calls to rescues I suppose. See this isnt even enough time to wrap my head around this let alone have a gameplan. So stressed.
I am in Florida.. What county do you live in? Also I have seen enclosures that a few people made which were actually underground.. They dug down, lined with block, insulated and covered it back up.. All you see in the actual entrance for the tort and nothing else.. It is very well insulated and I can show you the posts on facebook, and you can even talk to the owner who made it.. It did not cost a lot of money actually and it would be cheaper than a fence.. I would love to talk to you.. If you are close to the Tampa Bay area, my husband and I would offer our help to you and volunteer some material you need.. Please if you can, email me at [email protected]. This can be fixed, and you can keep your baby!

Duckster RT

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
CT New Haven.
Did they say you can keep it if the enclosure is fixed to code. And you pay a 1000 dollar fine?

Duckster RT

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
CT New Haven.
Try to stall them. For a little more time. Fix the code problems. Is there a a 1000 dollar fine? If so I can try to help you with that. Idk how but I I’ll figure something out.

Duckster RT

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
CT New Haven.
I’m an electrician. Going to my Florida house soon. I don’t know how far you are from Port St. Lucy.

vladimir

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
Try to stall them. For a little more time. Fix the code problems. Is there a a 1000 dollar fine? If so I can try to help you with that. Idk how but I I’ll figure something out.

Between everyone on here we can come up with a solution :)

Are you able to post some photos of the area that they have a problem with?

TortloverPM

Cape Coral Florida
Cant keep wooden structure my roommate already took it down n set him up in garage since I've been working. and it can only b 100 square feet max which wont work. I have tom off so I can spend the time to really look into all this n go from there. These r ppl who define an animal as " any living dumb creature " so I'm not gtn my hopes up. I really appreciate all the support from everyone here tho . It helps just to kinda talk it thru. I cant believe no one else has had any similar experiences tho. It cant just b my county. And unless we put enclosure back up get violation and fine I cant appeal nothing and then if I lose that's alot of money and they can put a lien on ur house and everything. It's like the more I read and learn the worse it gets
You could still put up chain link fence, but just along the ground level, keep your wooden perimeter as a sight barrier. No?