Heat lamp, quick question

Status
Not open for further replies.

shelloise

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Manitoba Canada
I justbought a couple of tussian torts with supplies, but they didnt bring the lamp or bulb. I am running out to the pet store and would like to know what type of heat lamp to get. I dont want a coil bulb and the enclosure they are in has the top about 13 inches from the bottom of it. Is a red bulb ok? I would like to use that instead of a brite white one. I have to also repair the glass as It is cracked but til i can i sill cover it with clear packing tait it is cracked but for to ight wilit is cracked, must hav

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Probably to late to answer your ? Before you leave the store. I would get a CHE ceramic heat emitter for heat and a UVB long tube flourescent for UVB.

shelloise

5 Year Member
Manitoba Canada
Ok ty. I have uvb, just wasnt sure on heat, but should have thought of a che. What wattage , 100? I am wondering as the grate on top is only 12 inches away from the substrate. They had them a reptile sand. I have tons of coir, playsand and some cypress mulch, what would u suggest??

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
No sand. I love coir. Or you can mix the coir and cypress. 100 watt CHE? Yes, thats the size I would use.

shelloise

5 Year Member
Manitoba Canada
Thanks, I was unprepared as I just got back from Toronto a few hrs ago and the people needed to drop the tortoises off asap.

Humidity? I have a redfoot so I knoww she needs a fairamt. I dont think these guys had a humidity source other that their water bowl to soak in

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes, they need a higher humidity. Coir is good for holding it, won't mold and does not cause impaction. Cover 1/2 to 3/4 of enclosure to help hold in. I have had to use a humidifier to get 80% for my leopard and others have to, so that's an option if needed. Until you get everything up and running to correct levels, don't worry to much. Feed and keep warm and hydrated, s/he will be fine until its all correct.

shelloise

5 Year Member
Manitoba Canada
wellington said:
Yes, they need a higher humidity. Coir is good for holding it, won't mold and does not cause impaction. Cover 1/2 to 3/4 of enclosure to help hold in. I have had to use a humidifier to get 80% for my leopard and others have to, so that's an option if needed. Until you get everything up and running to correct levels, don't worry to much. Feed and keep warm and hydrated, s/he will be fine until its all correct.

They seem like they havent had much humidity, their legs and heads are very dry.. I set them up, tomorrow will run out a get some acrylic for the top, it seems to be working out well to keep my redfoots enclosure humid with holes cut it for the che and uvb light

Status
Not open for further replies.