Heat Lighting

TortyJay

Location (City and/or State)
England
Hi Guys,

Jerri is much more active in the last week and has started eating more again I put it down to the weather change!
However I’m finding he’s out early to his lamp and doesn’t want to move out of it. After a bath he’ll pop over for a small quick feed then back to the lamp. It’s rare that I really see him leave the lamp. My temps are around 32-35 at the lamp and 23 at the cool end which he will move to in order to sleep.

I have added shade more towards the lamp in case he was a little scared as he is still super small and young.

I’m worried that he isn’t eating or been active enough. Due to been a viv my basking spot does dim to keep the area at the correct temp. Is this a problem does it really need to be at 100% strength and moved higher (this wouldn’t currently be possible).

I discuss my enclosure in my previous topics should you need any more info. He does still seem wary when handling he likes to do a 180 and face away. So I’ve done my best to leave him be not wanting to make the situation worse but still do bath him daily. His weight gain has only been 2g in a few months now. At 34.

All his plumbing seems to be working just fine.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Full digestion cant happen at much under 26°-27°C
It might be too cold to leave the heated area for very long.
What species is he?
Can you photograph or describe your current lighting and heating types?

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
If you post a link here to your other thread it will save members time trying to find it if they want more information, and or post pics of your enclosure and lamps.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi Guys,

Jerri is much more active in the last week and has started eating more again I put it down to the weather change!
However I’m finding he’s out early to his lamp and doesn’t want to move out of it. After a bath he’ll pop over for a small quick feed then back to the lamp. It’s rare that I really see him leave the lamp. My temps are around 32-35 at the lamp and 23 at the cool end which he will move to in order to sleep.

I have added shade more towards the lamp in case he was a little scared as he is still super small and young.

I’m worried that he isn’t eating or been active enough. Due to been a viv my basking spot does dim to keep the area at the correct temp. Is this a problem does it really need to be at 100% strength and moved higher (this wouldn’t currently be possible).

I discuss my enclosure in my previous topics should you need any more info. He does still seem wary when handling he likes to do a 180 and face away. So I’ve done my best to leave him be not wanting to make the situation worse but still do bath him daily. His weight gain has only been 2g in a few months now. At 34.

All his plumbing seems to be working just fine.
Basking area should be closer to 36-37C. 35 is probably close enough, but 32 is getting a little too cool for a basking area.

When a tortoise spends a lot of time under a basking lamp, it is usually an indication that the ambient temp in the enclosure is too cool and the tortoise can't get warm enough. You should raise the ambient temp a few degrees and see what the tortoise does. If you don't have an ambient heat source, I recommend a CHE or RHP set on a thermostat.

TortyJay

England
Thanks that gives me some confidence in upping the temps even more didn’t want to cook the poor thing! I’ll up them further and get back to you if nothing changes in the coming days. Thanks for you advice I’ll post threads and pictures in my next reply if needed.

TortyJay

England
Just to give you guys an update since increasing my temps up by a degree or two Jerri is like a new tortoise! Also gained about 4 grams. He’s very active and is having various runs about during the day! Thanks

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Just to give you guys an update since increasing my temps up by a degree or two Jerri is like a new tortoise! Also gained about 4 grams. He’s very active and is having various runs about during the day! Thanks
That's great news. Glad to hear it, and thanks for the update! :)