Heat Stoke?! Freaking out!

dmarshall1991

Help. I feel like a horrible person. I had my two tortoises Jones and Hudson outside soaking up some UV rays and my dog had a medical emergency. I was taking care of her and completely forgot the torts outside. They were in direct sunlight for about 30-35 minutes. The sulcata is fine, but my redfoot had tons of foam coming out his mouth and he was pacing back and fourth trying to get out of the sun. I feel horrible. I always provide shade but the sun moved and the shade completely disappeared while I was with the dog. I immediately brought them inside and stuck him directly in his water dish in his enclosure. He just layed down and sat there and drank some for maybe 3 minutes and then he got up and went to the cool side of his cage. I turned off the heat lights and now I have to run my dog to the emergency vet. But is there anything I can do for him when I get home? I'll attach a picture of his foamy mouth. I feel like a horrible tortoise mommy :( any advice is welcome.

Attachments

• 1413243067094.jpg
    1413243067094.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 47

WillTort2

5 Year Member
What type of temperatures were they exposed to while they were exposed to the sun?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
First, I hope your dog is okay. Now for the tort, I would give him another soak when you get home, warm water soak, just not too warm. Then I would keep a close eye on him, but let him seek out the part of the enclosure he wants. I hope he will be okay too. Keep us updated on both your dog and tort.
Oh, your not a bad tort mommy, things happen and you had a dog emergency, not like you just forgot or didn't care. Easy on yourself so you can take care of the two pets that need you now.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
I hope you red foot will get well soon.

dmarshall1991

Thank you everyone. My dog will be fine. We just got home from the vet and a good chunk of money later and a cone around her neck for 2 weeks and she's all good. As far as Jones the tortoise goes he seems to be acting normal. He lol likes to walk back and fourth along the sliding glass doors on the front of his enclosure. That's what he's doing right now. I turned the heating lights back on and he's no longer foaming at the mouth. He sees me sitting next to his enclosure typing this on my phone and he's very curious and trying to be nosey and see what I'm doing and if I'm gonna give him any treats. I'm gonna offer him some strawberry and see if he will eat it. (He's a pig, I'm sure he will) anyways, I'm going to follow the advice given to me and soak him and hopefully he will be ok. I know things happen and mistakes are made but I feel sooooo terrible. If for some reason he doesn't make it because of this oh my gosh. I don't know how I'll ever be able to forgive myself. I'll keep this thread updated. Thank you again

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
Thank you everyone. My dog will be fine. We just got home from the vet and a good chunk of money later and a cone around her neck for 2 weeks and she's all good. As far as Jones the tortoise goes he seems to be acting normal. He lol likes to walk back and fourth along the sliding glass doors on the front of his enclosure. That's what he's doing right now. I turned the heating lights back on and he's no longer foaming at the mouth. He sees me sitting next to his enclosure typing this on my phone and he's very curious and trying to be nosey and see what I'm doing and if I'm gonna give him any treats. I'm gonna offer him some strawberry and see if he will eat it. (He's a pig, I'm sure he will) anyways, I'm going to follow the advice given to me and soak him and hopefully he will be ok. I know things happen and mistakes are made but I feel sooooo terrible. If for some reason he doesn't make it because of this oh my gosh. I don't know how I'll ever be able to forgive myself. I'll keep this thread updated. Thank you again
Consider yourself lucky! Glad your tortoise seems okay. You did the right thing in soaking it right away. I hope you did the same with the sulcata. Keep an eye on them to see if they're acting different.

dmarshall1991

Consider yourself lucky! Glad your tortoise seems okay. You did the right thing in soaking it right away. I hope you did the same with the sulcata. Keep an eye on them to see if they're acting different.
Yes I soaked the sulcata right away too. He seemed perfectly fine but I didn't wanna risk in. Scared me to death when I saw that foam. These tortoises sure have a knack for making my heart sink to my toes in half a second!

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
I'm glad both your pets are ok.

May
THBs: Darwin & Merlin
Aussies: Dax, Vegas, & Cricket
IG: @AUSSOMEAUSSIES