Heat stroke!!!

Location (City and/or State)
Spring Hill Florida
I made a horrible mistake! Was trying to give my tortoise some uvb so I let him go in his outside enclosure that I built but I did’nt add shade. He was out there for about 2 hours and I found him frantically clawing at the side with foam all over his face. I brought him inside and gave him a soak. Will he be ok?? I looked it up and it said for humans, heat stroke can cause permanent organ and brain damage. Will he have brain damage??

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
He should be ok.

For anyone else in this predicament: You don't want to cool the tortoise down too quickly. Just bring him in out of the sun and bathe his face with tepid water, leaving his head wet to air dry. After he's been in the house for a short while you can set him in a bowl of room temperature water to soak for a half hour or so.

Don't beat yourself up, Troy. Many of us have done the same thing. At least your tortoises didn't die before you found it. My daughter-in-law felt her baby box turtles needed some outdoor time so she set their glass aquarium outside under a tree. She didn't allow for the movement of the sun, and eventually cooked her babies.

Spring Hill Florida
He should be ok.

For anyone else in this predicament: You don't want to cool the tortoise down too quickly. Just bring him in out of the sun and bathe his face with tepid water, leaving his head wet to air dry. After he's been in the house for a short while you can set him in a bowl of room temperature water to soak for a half hour or so.
Ok thanks! I hope he does’nt have brain damage because of me. I would feel terrible. How do you find out if he will have issues.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Ok thanks! I hope he does’nt have brain damage because of me. I would feel terrible. How do you find out if he will have issues.
You don't. Just relax and let him be a tortoise. Don't treat him any different. Just enjoy him.