Heat stroke!!!

ShellyTheTortoise71

Hi everyone. My red foot tortoise Shelly was outdoors yesterday. It was about 80 degrees Fahrenheit outside. As I was bringing her in for the night, I noticed that she had white foam all over her mouth! I looked on the forum and found that it is a sign of heat stroke. Will she be alright? Also, the water I provide her gets hot so quickly outdoors. Is there any way to keep it cool? How do you provide water outside? Thanks.

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Somewhere in Florida
The answer to your question is shade. You must provide a shady area for Shelly to get out of the sun. Also, keep her water in the shade and it should be ok.
Eighty degrees is not really hot at all...unless the tortoise cannot escape the direct sun--especially during the middle of the day.
Also, bubbles (or foam) in the corners of the mouth can be a result of extreme dryness or a female looking to nest/lay eggs.
In the case of real heat stroke, a tortoise will not only be foaming at the mouth but will also be frantically trying to seek shade. Heat exposure that is causing these symptoms will be fatal very quickly.

Did Shelly drink a lot after you brought her inside?

ShellyTheTortoise71

Ok that's great that it might not be heat stroke. Im not sure if she is too dry. Also, I didn't notice her drinking much. Oddly enough, I haven't seen her drink anything in months. Another issue is that she doesn't drink during soaks either.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Foaming at the mouth can be a symptom of a tortoise overheating, not necessarily a "heat stroke".

In addition to what Carl said, a foamy mouth can also be cause by a bee sting, ant bite or other venomous insect.

ShellyTheTortoise71

Foaming at the mouth can be a symptom of a tortoise overheating, not necessarily a "heat stroke".

In addition to what Carl said, a foamy mouth can also be cause by a bee sting, ant bite or other venomous insect.

If she did overheat, is there any way to help prevent this? She has many shade areas, but she usually doesn't stay in them for long periods of time.

jockma

5 Year Member
Los Angeles County
They drink through their nose so you may not notice her drinking during soaks. They can also "drink" through their vent. And, of course, maybe she's drinking when you aren't looking. They can be sneaky like that ;)

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
They drink through their nose so you may not notice her drinking during soaks. They can also "drink" through their vent. And, of course, maybe she's drinking when you aren't looking. They can be sneaky like that ;)
Torts drink through the mouth too. Some rarely put their head under completely - including my Joe

jockma

5 Year Member
Los Angeles County
Torts drink through the mouth too. Some rarely put their head under completely - including my Joe
I had no idea they could drink like that! I wish mine did, it would save me a lot of anxiety from watching him submerge his head for a seemingly impossible period of time.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Something tells me your tortoise yard is too open with not many plants, shrubs and trees. Plantings are what help keep your tortoise from overheating, along with a water source they can climb in and out of.

ShellyTheTortoise71

Something tells me your tortoise yard is too open with not many plants, shrubs and trees. Plantings are what help keep your tortoise from overheating, along with a water source they can climb in and out of.

You're right. I only have a few trees. Would it be safer if there were bushes and plants?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
How would I do that?
I'd use something big like an inverted dustbin lid (I'm British - trash can in the US?) and sink it it into the ground. Fill it with dirt, add water make mud. Redfoots seem to love mud.

You may be able to make mud that stays reasonably wet without the lid - just dog done earth and tip water in it

ShellyTheTortoise71

I'd use something big like an inverted dustbin lid (I'm British - trash can in the US?) and sink it it into the ground. Fill it with dirt, add water make mud. Redfoots seem to love mud.

You may be able to make mud that stays reasonably wet without the lid - just dog done earth and tip water in it
Ok thanks. I'll try it soon.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You're right. I only have a few trees. Would it be safer if there were bushes and plants?

Oh yes, definitely! They love to hide under the bushes, and the trees provide shade from up high, giving lots of room underneath for cool breeze.

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
My tortoises will also froth at the mouth if they get into something bitter or citrus-y.

JakeDevoe

5 Year Member
Wait so what is the average temp that can make a tortoise overheat?