Heating a large indooor enclosure 4x8

Tditta94

Location (City and/or State)
Houston pa
I am building a new enclosure for rory our red footed tortoise previously we had him in a 75 gallon tank but lately he seems to be unhappy with the space and I don't blame him so I'm building him a 4"×8" enclosure in our living room now my only worry are how to maintain the humidity and heat all day and night. I thought about using radiant heat beneath the substrate as well as a basking light and misters for the humidity but I am open to suggestions and just want him to be as comfortable and happy as possible

Attachments

• 16586216971542454743467416846062.jpg
    16586216971542454743467416846062.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 10

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hate to tell you but a 4x8 foot is too small for a RF adult. Not sure how big yours is but looks fairly good size in the pic
A 4x8 is minimum for an adult Russian that stays small.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I am building a new enclosure for rory our red footed tortoise previously we had him in a 75 gallon tank but lately he seems to be unhappy with the space and I don't blame him so I'm building him a 4"×8" enclosure in our living room now my only worry are how to maintain the humidity and heat all day and night. I thought about using radiant heat beneath the substrate as well as a basking light and misters for the humidity but I am open to suggestions and just want him to be as comfortable and happy as possible
It will need to be a closed chamber to hold in heat and humidity, and I agree with Wellington that 4x8 feet is too small for an adult. Build it out of 4x8 foot sheets of expanded PVC. Wood won't work and there is not store bought coating that will protect the wood from the constant wetness.

RFs should not have a basking lamp, and no species should have a red bulb. You need a couple of radiant heat panels set on thermostats for heat, and some LED strips set on timers for light. Add a HO UV tube from Arcadia (Pro T5 Kit) if your tortoise doesn't get outside for UV from the sun.

No tortoise species should be heated from underneath and RHPs cannot work that way anyway.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Welcome to the forum.

Kindly note that, the bigger the enclosure the better. These cute little animals are used to wander around in the wild without boundaries.

Please post pics of the enclosure once it is ready. Good luck!

Tditta94

Houston pa
Hate to tell you but a 4x8 foot is too small for a RF adult. Not sure how big yours is but looks fairly good size in the pic
A 4x8 is minimum for an adult Russian that stays small.
He's only about 4 years old and about 6 inches long

Tditta94

Houston pa
It will need to be a closed chamber to hold in heat and humidity, and I agree with Wellington that 4x8 feet is too small for an adult. Build it out of 4x8 foot sheets of expanded PVC. Wood won't work and there is not store bought coating that will protect the wood from the constant wetness.

RFs should not have a basking lamp, and no species should have a red bulb. You need a couple of radiant heat panels set on thermostats for heat, and some LED strips set on timers for light. Add a HO UV tube from Arcadia (Pro T5 Kit) if your tortoise doesn't get outside for UV from the sun.

No tortoise species should be heated from underneath and RHPs cannot work that way anyway.
Ok would it be acceptable to use polywall it's the same material that shower walls are made of

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Ok would it be acceptable to use polywall it's the same material that shower walls are made of
I have no knowledge of or experience with that material, but if it is waterproof and non toxic, it should work.