Heating for New redfoot enclosure

Murran

Location (City and/or State)
Lancashire, uk
Im just about to start a build on a new enclose for our two redfoots.

The dimensions will be 8ftx4ft I am wondering how many ceramic heaters I will need of what wattage for the space.

I live in the UK and the house can get quite cold at certain times of the day in the winter.

It will be a covered structure made from ply.

I would be most grateful for any help

Murran

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You'll have to play it by ear. I'd start out with one at either end and add more as needed.

Murran

Lancashire, uk
@Anyfoot Thanks for the reply Can I ask where you got the rubber paint from, off the net? I was going to use yacht varnish for the walls would rubber paint serve me better?
I'll go with the two 200'S .
After seeing that thread I will pretty much follow what you have done there but with larger heaters.

Last edited:

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
@Anyfoot Thanks for the reply Can I ask where you got the rubber paint from, off the net? I was going to use yacht varnish for the walls would rubber paint serve me better?
I'll go with the two 200'S .
After seeing that thread I will pretty much follow what you have done there but with larger heaters.
I got it off eBay. It’s very expensive. A 1ltr tin should do you 2 coats. Make sure the room is well ventilated and you wear a mask. It’s very toxic and makes you see pink elephants. Leave 2 wks to air out.
I used it in my tort house and 4 yrs on it’s still good. I literally blast the wall with hose pipe in there and humidity is very high.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Chlorina...hash=item4af8116762:m:ms-qGANGAA4yHdFh_ZZjlAA

Murran

Lancashire, uk
No I am going to build the enclosure, I've been wondering what to paint the walls with.
I am planning on using plywood to build it out of.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
No I am going to build the enclosure, I've been wondering what to paint the walls with.
I am planning on using plywood to build it out of.
Use the rubber paint it’s good stuff. Seal alljoints with caulk first.

Murran

Lancashire, uk
Yeah I have looked at divs but like you say the are quite expensive.
In quite happy to build something that way I can build it to our needs.

Murran

Lancashire, uk
Thanks for the advice, after seeing the condensation on the roof of your Viv I may pitch it so the moisture runs down back into the substrate

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Thanks for the advice, after seeing the condensation on the roof of your Viv I may pitch it so the moisture runs down back into the substrate
Yeah. I had an extreme after thought of making the roof have upside down pyramids all over it so the condensation drips back in all over the viv.

Murran

Lancashire, uk
A cleaved thought, would make it difficult for attaching light and cleaning but I see where you are coming from. Our redfoots are currently in the biggest really useful box they make until I get this built, the roof always has condensation on it so I think a pitched roof is the way to go.
Thank you for your input, we are new to keeping tortoises so advice from experienced people helps stop me making loads of mistakes and potentially saves time and money awell.
One question, do you think I should go with a 30" 10.0 uvb ? It's quite a large area.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
A cleaved thought, would make it difficult for attaching light and cleaning but I see where you are coming from. Our redfoots are currently in the biggest really useful box they make until I get this built, the roof always has condensation on it so I think a pitched roof is the way to go.
Thank you for your input, we are new to keeping tortoises so advice from experienced people helps stop me making loads of mistakes and potentially saves time and money awell.
One question, do you think I should go with a 30" 10.0 uvb ? It's quite a large area.
Yes. I did that so I could hang it high out of the way. Mine has a deflector around it. And at 20”ish high it gives a reading of 1.4 on the Ferguson scale. For redfoots we need minimum 1.

How big are your torts, any photos. If you want more torts I’m always looking for good homes for juveniles. :D

Murran

Lancashire, uk
@Anyfoot
Moss and Bailey
Moss has a strange crease on his shell, he had it when we got him from the pet shop.
They are growing quickly, hence the need to get the new enclosure built.
As for more redfoots, let's see how we get on with these two first.

20181103_123057.jpg 20181103_122219.jpg20181103_122332.jpg

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Forgot to mention. Make sure you use ceramic holders for che. Not plastic.
I used a proportional thermostat to maintain a more constant temperature too.

Murran

Lancashire, uk
We have ceramic holders, I need to get the cages and brackets to attach to the roof..
We have a themostat it's a Kosovo one, will it be ok?20181103_132105.jpg

Murran

Lancashire, uk
Yeah it's rated a 600 watts so should be ample for the job.
I wondered if you had any thoughts on the crease on boss's shell, Have you see anything like this before?