heating for tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

russian tortoise boy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
North Las Vegas Nevada
okay so i have my russian tortoise hamburger, but i call her burger, i named her that cause when i lift her she's like a burger. Anyways, ummm, i have a lamp and it says "put 60 WATTS or below and type A bulb and i was like what the hell is type A so i just put this globe bulb (60 WATTS) and it seems fine and after some time it seems kinda not giving heat. i changed it with this bulb and i was worried that this bulb might not be compatible for the lamp and her, and it was 50 WATTS but it gives more heat than the 60 watts. here is the bulb, please tell me if its okay for both bulb and my tortoise thank you :

http://lightbulbsinternational.com/...25d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/R/BR19_E26_SP_PH_01.jpg

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Is Burger getting outdoor natural sun time? If yes, great, then a regular old bulb (better to get near 100 watt and adjust height of bulb to achieve desired temp) is fine for heat...however, if your tort is not getting at least 30 minutes of natural sun outdoor time then I would invest in good uva/uvb lighting along with the heating bulb....

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Ditto. The bulb you have looks like it is just a basking type heat bulb, no UVA/UVB. The MVB a.though pricey, 34.00 on up. Check out amazon. It gives off heat, light and UVA/UVB. Last one year of UVB and light and heat longer. Most bulbs UVB last 6 months or less.

Status
Not open for further replies.