Heating questions

Location (City and/or State)
Lewisville, Texas
Hey everyone, need help with some heating problems regarding a future sulcata. I have heard people talk about heat panels that radiat constant heat and temperature throughout the enclosure, essentially eradicating the need for a heat bulb. Do you guys have any recommendations on where to find them, or can you link me to a good one?

And some humidity questions; how do you originally add humidity into the enclosure? Do you just soak your substrate, or does it come moist orrr...

Thanks for your help, appreciate it

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Radiant heat panels maintain the ambient temp in the enclosure day and night. They do not eliminate the need for a basking area.

Here are the panels:
http://www.reptilebasics.com/rbi-radiant-heat-panels

Here is the thermostat I usually use to control them:
https://www.lllreptile.com/products/13883-zilla-1000-watt-temperature-controller

I get humidity up in my closed chambers by dampening the substrate and filling up the shallow water bowl. How much water to add and how often varies with each enclosure and the season or weather too.

Lewisville, Texas
Radiant heat panels maintain the ambient temp in the enclosure day and night. They do not eliminate the need for a basking area.

Here are the panels:
http://www.reptilebasics.com/rbi-radiant-heat-panels

Here is the thermostat I usually use to control them:
https://www.lllreptile.com/products/13883-zilla-1000-watt-temperature-controller

I get humidity up in my closed chambers by dampening the substrate and filling up the shallow water bowl. How much water to add and how often varies with each enclosure and the season or weather too.
And which panel would be best for a sulcata hatchling? I’m not going to pretend I have the slightest clue on how wattage works and all that, just a basic understanding of where the temps and humidity need to be

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
And which panel would be best for a sulcata hatchling? I’m not going to pretend I have the slightest clue on how wattage works and all that, just a basic understanding of where the temps and humidity need to be
Depends on the size of the enclosure and the room temp. In a giant cage in a cold garage, you would need multiple large heat panels. In a smaller enclosure in a heated house, one small one will probably get it done.

If your house is around 70 degrees in winter, a 21x12" panel will probably keep the enclosure warm enough. If its colder in your house, or your cage is exceptionally large, get a bigger panel, or a couple of panels. The thermostat will keep them from over heating the enclosure.

Lewisville, Texas
Depends on the size of the enclosure and the room temp. In a giant cage in a cold garage, you would need multiple large heat panels. In a smaller enclosure in a heated house, one small one will probably get it done.

If your house is around 70 degrees in winter, a 21x12" panel will probably keep the enclosure warm enough. If its colder in your house, or your cage is exceptionally large, get a bigger panel, or a couple of panels. The thermostat will keep them from over heating the enclosure.

Those heat panels would all be awesome but the 21x12 aka 80 watt is out of stock, what should I do? Do you know any other heat panels?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Those heat panels would all be awesome but the 21x12 aka 80 watt is out of stock, what should I do? Do you know any other heat panels?
You can get two of the smaller ones and put them on either end of the enclosure to spread the heat out. Both would still run on a single thermostat.

There are other brands of RHP, but I don't have any experience with them and can't personally recommend them. Hopefully someone else who has used a different brand will chime in.

xphare

Denver
I would email Reptile Basics and tell them your set up. I did this in the past and the one I thought I wanted would have been a bad choice and they pointed me in the right direction.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
We all have been giving Reptile Basics some good business these days. All sizes, except the very largest 160 Watt one, are “Temporarily Out of Stock”

Here is the size of the largest one (still) in stock -

• 160 watt panel measures approximately 12.5"x42.5"x1.75" (overall dimensions)