Hello again!

Shaman of Dusk

Location (City and/or State)
Lutherstadt Wittenberg
Ok, my Tortoise, I have decided to name her Spica, seems to do pretty well. She spends most of the day in her outdoor enclosure and seems to enjoy it. In the evening, she gets into a terrarium due to security reasons.

It is a disgustingly warm and arid summer, so her diet consists mostly of dandelion, narrowleaf and broadleaf plantain (don't really know the English word, she can definitely eat it tho), yarrow and her favorite, salad (a kind that she may eat). At occasion, she gets this specialized tortoise food. I rarely break cuttlefish bone into smaller pieces and give it as well.

So, I do rarely see her drink, but that is fairly normal as I've read, I also spray a lot of water on her and her terrarium, so that should do it right? She has urinated just today. She eats quite a lot, a bit less on some days, for example the last few, but she is already over that.

Do you recommend feeding her multiple times a day? We give her plenty of food in the morning, when we put her out. When I see that she has eaten everything, I normally pluck some greens and give her some, not that much. She normally has another thorough meal in the evening, well, sometimes, some days she just straight goes to sleep again. Is that meal necessary?

Considering it's mostly sunny in here, I leave my UV Lamp turned off and refrain from using it. Cloudy days here or there do not kill her either, I suppose [emoji28]

Is my behavior somewhat appropriate?

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
What type of tortoise do you have? How old and how big is she? If she is getting outside a few times a week, she doesn't need the UV lamp. Provide as much food as she will eat so there is always food available. Tortoises are grazers so they eat all day long.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I would soak her at least once a week in warm water seeing it's so hot there and you don't see her drink. Also spray water on her food. If she is an adult, and is outside grazing then you don't have too feed her when she comes in for the night. If she can't go out then feed her a big pile that should last her most of the day. If you don't think she is grazing much outside then give her some food while she is out there. Babies need to eat more and should be fed whenever their dish is emptied.

Shaman of Dusk

Lutherstadt Wittenberg
OK, thank you for your replies! She is a Hermann's, and turning 1 this month. I plan on bathing her today, and I spray a vigorous amount of water in the terrarium, and especially on her every evening.