Hello All!

Beach Bum

Location (City and/or State)
Pismo Beach, CA.
New to the site and in fact my family doesn't even have a tortoise in our house yet. My 12 yr old daughter has been wanting a Hermanns tortoise for some time now and we've burned ourselves out researching the net on all of the do's and don'ts but like everything on the web they were all contradictory for the most part. I wish we would've stumbled upon this site sooner. A lot of knowledge floating around here that we'll be sure to take advantage of once we find a good place to get a baby Hermanns from. Bit of background on our fam, we have a 9 yr old son that is blind but he rides a bike, surfs and loves Jiu Jitsu two girls 11 and 12 all of which love any animal they come upon. Life is good living at the beach and putting our feet in the sand every day! Thanks for all of the good reading material.

ShannonC

South Carolina
Welcome!! You will find not only great, up-to-date information here, but you will also find great resources to find your new family member.

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
Welcome Beach bum. Please visit our breeders section to see where to get a proper started tortoise. You would think that most people start there hatchlings out correctly but sadly that is not the case. Many breeders and pet stores start there animals out way to dry and and tort can die from this months down the line. Then when you call the place you got it from they say it was YOUR fault because it was fine when you got it when in fact it was damage done in the first few days/weeks of the torts life. Do yourself a favor and look in the hermanns section and check out Chris' website. His care sheet is pretty much "the" care sheet I would advise you to forget anything your previous research showed you and stick to his info. You can't go wrong with one of his babies either. In fact I'm pretty sure a retile magazine just awarded him 'breeder of the year' or something like that.
@HermanniChris

Www.gardenstatetortoise.com

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello, and welcome to the forum.
We think we have the most up to date tortoise information available anywhere.
Look around, learn and enjoy.
If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello and welcome to the TFO from AZ . Where else would you go to find so many people that love turtles and torts . We are from all over the world ! And if I was to get a tort I would get it right here . But good luck with your choice .ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1428511237.328933.jpg

DawnH

5 Year Member
Southeast Texas
Well, you have come to the right place, that is for sure! Welcome!!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Hi! *waves* A lot of the reason for contradiction comes down to the fact there is more then one "right" way. Sorta like with raising children, but add in a huge dose of various environmental differences to the equation. You need to tweak all advise to fit your personal environment, your tortoise and even your life style.