Hello and help making an enclosure

Sterno

Location (City and/or State)
Land O Lakes
April 18th was Torti's gotcha date. He is 14 weeks old. My son originally wanted a turtle but the more education we received we quickly learned a tortoise was the choice for us.

Since bringing him home some of the initial information we were told has been not exactly correct. We are now giving Torti calcium less and working on a wider variety of food options.

The biggest shift is the living space. Torti is in a 10gl glass home. We know we need to change this. I have attached what we want to build, does anyone have plans on building it or know someone in the states that can cut the pieces and send it and we can put it together? I found it on Etsy and the shipping is awful even coming in pieces. What kinds of wood can be used? Plywood?

I also read one could use a Rubbermaid tote, I am thinking this for outside use? The heat lamp and pad would cause melting?

We have the tools to make a cool home, it would be easier and faster with a set of plans.

Thank you for your help.

Attachments

• 20210430_164546_01.jpg
    20210430_164546_01.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 19
  • Collage 2021-05-22 08_50_34.jpg
    Collage 2021-05-22 08_50_34.jpg
    190.8 KB · Views: 19

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome!

Your model for the enclosure you want to build is much too small. Please read our care sheet for your species of tortoise (I can't tell if he's a Hermanns or a Greek from the picture). You should get an idea or two there for the enclosure you want to build.

Sterno

Land O Lakes
April 18th was Torti's gotcha date. He is 14 weeks old. My son originally wanted a turtle but the more education we received we quickly learned a tortoise was the choice for us.

Since bringing him home some of the initial information we were told has been not exactly correct. We are now giving Torti calcium less and working on a wider variety of food options.

The biggest shift is the living space. Torti is in a 10gl glass home. We know we need to change this. I have attached what we want to build, does anyone have plans on building it or know someone in the states that can cut the pieces and send it and we can put it together? I found it on Etsy and the shipping is awful even coming in pieces. What kinds of wood can be used? Plywood?

I also read one could use a Rubbermaid tote, I am thinking this for outside use? The heat lamp and pad would cause melting?

We have the tools to make a cool home, it would be easier and faster with a set of plans.

Thank you for your help.
I forgot to include he is a Hermann's Tortoise. ❤

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi and welcome,
This is the caresheet you need

There is a lot of old information about tort care still being circulated by pet stores breeders and even some vets but the info here is up to date and will help you with most things but ask as many questions as you like.
Large vivs are often preferred for babies as you can control the temps and humidity better.
Open tables like the one in your pic will need something like a portable greenhouse over it for a similar effect.
Some members have made great enclosures using the Lifetime Raised Garden beds and if you search the forum for that you'll find a great example from Elohi.

Sterno

Land O Lakes
Hi and welcome,
This is the caresheet you need

There is a lot of old information about tort care still being circulated by pet stores breeders and even some vets but the info here is up to date and will help you with most things but ask as many questions as you like.
Large vivs are often preferred for babies as you can control the temps and humidity better.
Open tables like the one in your pic will need something like a portable greenhouse over it for a similar effect.
Some members have made great enclosures using the Lifetime Raised Garden beds and if you search the forum for that you'll find a great example from Elohi.
I appreciate you sharing the care sheet. Please forgive me for saying this but whose answer is the right one? This says the home we have Torti in is fine. Other's say no. So many different paths. I even read some place strawberries were an okay treat and some place else no.

It is becoming frustrating to know what is the right home have. I will look at Elohi in a but.

I truly appreciate your assistance.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I appreciate you sharing the care sheet. Please forgive me for saying this but whose answer is the right one? This says the home we have Torti in is fine. Other's say no. So many different paths. I even read some place strawberries were an okay treat and some place else no.

It is becoming frustrating to know what is the right home have. I will look at Elohi in a but.

Yes it is confusing if you use lots of different sites. This forum has the most up to date information on tortoise keeping you'll find anywhere and it comes from keepers with decades of experience and some of whom have been involved in research and thankfully share their findings with us.
There is a lot of heat and humidity loss from moist substrate with open tables, so many who have them end up covering them with portable greenhouses or plastic sheets so that they can control them better. Torts started too dry usually end up with pyramiding of the shell.
The size of vivs (or tables) is important as torts are roaming creatures and need space to do that; it's also important for their digestive system and bones etc so the bigger the enclosure the better. As your tort gets bigger he will need a larger enclosure (minimum 4 x 8 feet for young adults) and a viv may not be suitable then. My own leopard tort has his own adapted room because he is too big for either.
You can of course make your own mind up and follow whatever advice you want, but personally I find it better to just stick to one source of information and this is the best I've found where you can learn not just from a wealth of experience but from other people's mistakes too rather than make my own.
If you post pics of his current home you'll get good feedback on any changes you may need to make to make sure he's happy and healthy.

(Fruit should not be fed to torts as they can't handle the sugars)

ArmadilloPup

NE Oklahoma
Welcome to the tortoise party!

I second the recommendation for HermanniChris. If you can't reach him here, he has a good website: Hermanni Haven.

You will always find discrepancies - for example, Chris says no glass, but other experienced keepers may not have had an issue with it and will say it's fine. The debate section of the forum is very popular. But spend some time here and read a lot and you will begin to see some patterns in what keepers think is best. It will gradually become easier to make your own judgments based on what you learn.

Krista S

Platinum Tortoise Club
Saskatchewan

Glass enclosures work really well for a lot of people. The issue is that 10 gallon is too small for even a tiny hatchling. I started my Hermann’s tortoise in an exo terra glass enclosure that was 3ft x 1 1/2ft but he outgrew it in less than 1 year. I wouldn’t go any smaller than 2ft x 4ft for the first year. Depending on how quickly your tortoise grows you may want a larger enclosure sooner. My little guy just turned 2 year old, and is in an enclosure that is about 7ft x 4ft. The enclosure you have posted above would be a lot of work and wouldn’t last more than a few months. Having the second floor, although it looks neat, I don't think it’s a good use of floor space and is a tipping hazard for your little tort. The “hide“ area of that type of enclosure is much larger than it needs to be, so it eats up a lot of valuable walking space for the tortoise. I have found too that if the hide is too large, they won’t feel secure in it and might not use it. I would look at a larger enclosure if you don’t want to keep upgrading 1 to 2 times per year. I would also recommend using expanded PVC for the enclosure, instead of wood. It’s is heat and water resistant, so it won’t ever rot or get mouldy. Your baby really should be started in a closed chamber with high humidity. Alternatively you can use the greenhouse method like @Lyn W posted above or some have even used a grow tent and out it on its side. If you do a search on the forum for grow tent, you’ll see a lot of cool examples. It can be a good way to get a more appropriately sized closed chamber enclosure for a really affordable price.

In regards to the Rubbermaid tote, a lot of people do use those indoors for babies. Some even use plastic Christmas tree storage containers because their really large. Heat lamps shouldn’t be an issue with this type of enclosure. The main thing is to get one large enough to maintain a proper temperature gradient. usually at least 3 feet of length is required for this. You had mentioned a heat mat, but heat mats really shouldn’t be used for tortoises. In my opinion, if you can find a tote that offers a lot of floor space, this would be a better option (compared to the 10 gallon) for a couple of months while you figure out a proper enclosure.

I know there’s so much conflicting information and it can get really overwhelming and frustrating. The care sheet @Lyn W linked really is the best advice available. One of our members wrote the care sheet based on decades of experience and trial and error. As for the strawberries, all fruit really should be avoided for our Hermann’s tortoises. Their bodies just aren’t built to process the sugars that are in fruit. Although it is a nice treat for us, it’s an almost guaranteed upset tummy for a tortoise and too much sugar can cause a parasite bloom. It’s just not worth the risk.

Last edited:

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Hello! I think I might have the answer for you and your son, since it sounds like you like to build.

Look at this...

https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/b...-pvc-enclosed-chamber-–-for-beginners.159220/

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Hello! I think I might have the answer for you and your son, since it sounds like you like to build.

Look at this...

https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/b...-pvc-enclosed-chamber-–-for-beginners.159220/
I couldn't open the site. Hopefully the new member could.

ZenHerper

New Jersey

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl