Hello and help needed in MN

isshinmark

Hello from the Twin Cities MN. Our family is planning the purchase of our first tortoise, a Russian. Primary care giver will be my 11 year old son with close supervision form me. We have lighting and are planning a tortoise table build in the next couple of weeks. I kept snakes when I was younger than my son until I went to college (the boss said NO to snakes) so I'm not new to herps. I am new to tortoises! We have read all we can find on care, climate, and feeding. My concern is where to purchase our tortoise?

Are there any reputable breeders in the Twin Cities? Is buying online safe from the correct source? Is buying a tortoise at a herp show a good idea? We have one coming up here in a few weeks. :) There are 3 Russians at the local Petco but I am WAY leery of buying there.

Thanks for all the help and advice in advance!

Mark

milkandsam

5 Year Member
I bought my tort from tortoisesupply.com it was my first tort and they were very helpful in making my selection! There also may be forum members who are selling russians... check in the for sale or adoptions page!

Also-welcome to the forum!! People will be extremely helpful! I would suggest posting pics of your lights, etc and getting feedback on your tort enclosure when it's ready!

Again, welcome!!

isshinmark

Thanks Milkandsam. I will post pics once complete. I want to get the basic structure built this weekend so I can experiment with light placement and take readings of temp around the space. My son is very excited to get his tortoise I just want to make sure it is as healthy as can be from the start.

Any thoughts on size of tort for a first timer? Hatchlings are out for sure but should we go with juveniles or adults?

Thanks again,
Mark

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Mark, and welcome to the Forum!

The vendor milkandsam suggested is a good one, and a sponsor of our Forum. Its also good to buy at a reptile show because you can see and handle the tortoise you're buying. But be sure to take down the name and phone number of the seller in case you want to contact him for any reason after the show.

I suggest an older tortoise for a first time keeper.

And be sure to read "Beginner Mistakes" and "Tortoise Basics for Prospective or Beginner Tortoise Owners". You can find both of those articles under "Tortoise and Turtle Articles."

Last edited:

Eltemp

St. Peter, MN
There is a show coming April 26 in the cities. I was hoping to find a local Russian breeder that for a captive brex hatchling.

isshinmark

IMG_0525.JPG

Well, I'm a little later than expected getting pics of our enclosure but here it is. Size is 30"x48"x15" lined with pond liner. For the substrate we 50/50 organic soil and play sand with one block of eco-earth mixed in. Temperature under the basking lamp is ~95-110 degrees F depending on how high up I set the themometer. The warm side under the UVA/UVB lamp stays ~85 degrees F and the cool end is at running right at 70. Needs more plant life but currently there are two wheatgrass pots my son put in. We will be going to the reptile show here in Minneapolis this weekend with the hope of finding a Hermann's to join the family. If anyone has any suggestions on the enclosure or plants that would be good please let me know.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Is there a hiding place? If you end up getting a hatchling, you'll have to make a few minor adjustments to the habitat, but let's wait and see what you get first.

isshinmark

Yvonne, yes there are actually 2 now that we put in after that picture. One is a cork bark hide in the warmer end and the other a 12x18 hide with brick paver sides and a plywood top.

We would prefer a couple of year old tortoise since we are new to this but we shall see what we can find.

Thanks for the help and all the great articles and posts you have here.

Mark

isshinmark

Well our trip to the reptile expo was very successful! Forum, meet Sheldon!

A 7 yr old captive raised male Hermann's 120mm long and 335g of adorable.

He has already made several laps around his enclosure, eaten from the wheat grass plants, and had a lot of organic spring mix. I think he is doing well. ImageUploadedByTortForum1398532182.326023.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1398532199.525236.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That's a very nice-looking tortoise. I think its good that you got an older one for the first tortoise. Try to get him out in the sun occasionally, but don't take your eyes off him for even a minute. They're good at getting away from you.

He looks like he might be a little dehydrated (eyes sort of sunken in), so for the first week or so soak him in warm water daily for about 15 minutes. Use a bowl he can't climb out of, and have the water come up to the middle of his sides. This way he doesn't have to strain to keep his head out of the water.

isshinmark

One question. Will Sheldon self regulate his feeding? He is eating a lot will he stop when he is full?

Thanks
Mark

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Some do and some don't. I would feed him as much as he will eat. I like to have left-overs on the food tile so they can come back throughout the day and browse more. They even eat it at the end of the day after its all dried up and unappetizing.

TortyTom

5 Year Member
Houston / Webster, TX
Congrats on the new tort. It's a beauty! I think it's great that you are teaching your son the responsibility of caring for a living creature. I think the world would be a better place if all parents would do that.

pam

5 Year Member
Minnesota
Great looking tortoise I am going to the reptile show tomorrow at the fair grounds :)

mikeh

5 Year Member
From my experience the brick or concrete block shown in the photos has hard sharp edges that will scratch his plastron while climbing over possibly inviting shell infection.

isshinmark

Mikes, thanks for the tip. I will go find some smooth river stone as a replacement.

He had a good soak this evening, did his business and is now sleeping quietly. It's been a good first day.

Thanks to all for the advice and well wishes.

Mark