hello everyone

Nate-k

Location (City and/or State)
Comstock park,Michigan,USA
hello my name is Nate I have been a russian tortoise owner for about 3 weeks or so. I have been coming to this site as a guest for a lot of my information so I decided to join

I am looking in to building a tortoise table in the next week or so maybe 4' x 4' its in a 36x18" critter cage right now that came from the pet store that I believe to be to small . Looking for ideas at the moment. Love the little guy and want him to be happy. I have been letting him out side when its warm out (its a fenced in back yard ) but he seems to not want to do any thing but escape when I let him out, was expecting him to walk around and eat the menu of dandelions and other weeds available in the back yard but he seems to be a picky eater so far only eating romaine lettuce and kale (what the pet store was feeding him )

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Hello and welcome :)

Russians are notorious escape artists! Build your tort a proper outdoor enclosure (look in our enclosures forum for ideas) so he can enjoy the outdoors safely :)

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hi, Nate and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum to you and your Russian.
6' by 4' would be better as this is the minimum guideline for a Russian if you could manage it.
He's still getting used to his new environment, he'll start munching the indigenous flora shortly, I'm sure, especially if you cut out feeding him the other stuff.
Good luck.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Welcome Nate and good luck with your enclosure/ There's lots of information here and if you follow all advice your tort should be happy and healthy for many years.
Have you found the caresheet for Russians under species specific yet? I also found the Beginners' Mistakes thread useful too. They are good places to start

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Welcome to the forum. To get him eating better stuff, I suggest chopping the romaine and kale up really small, add a small amount of small cut dandelions, thistle, prickly lettuce, grape leaves, mulberry, plantain, mallow...... to it. Gradually increase the good stuff and decrease the romaine and kale.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum, Nate!

Nate-k

Comstock park,Michigan,USA
Thanks for the warm welcome guys I will definitely be looking into the threads on tortoise tables and enclosures! Good suggestions all around, keep em comin! Thanks!