hello from a new user

cupcake1674

Hello, my name is Brooke and I'm to this site and to the tortoise community i recently purchased a baby redfoot and have been extremely excited about him/her i bought Linus at a repticon show and just adore him/her I'm so worried about the habitat that t i built because i read so much and everything i read is somewhat different, he/she appears to be happy not sure what the growth rate is but this one was born sometime in june /july and is 3" long today.IMG_2221.JPGIMG_2223.JPG

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Check out tortoise library . It's a members website that's all about the red foot . His temperatures are very important to his health . How are you checking them ? Also humidity is very important open top enclosures are hard to keep humidity in . The tortoise library will cover all of this for you . Welcome to tfo .

Tortoise Library

Last edited by a moderator:

Rutibegga

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Philadelphia, PA
Hi Brooke, and welcome! Definitely check out the redfoot section and Tortoise library information to tweak Linus' enclosure, as these guy need really high humidity and it looks a bit dry. Don't stress though, you'll find plenty of resources here and people who'll answer your questions and help you.

Linus is a cutie!

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Hello, my name is Brooke and I'm to this site and to the tortoise community i recently purchased a baby redfoot and have been extremely excited about him/her i bought Linus at a repticon show and just adore him/her I'm so worried about the habitat that t i built because i read so much and everything i read is somewhat different, he/she appears to be happy not sure what the growth rate is but this one was born sometime in june /july and is 3" long today.View attachment 158631View attachment 158632
Hi and welcome. Because your enclosure is an open system, I advise that you add lots of plant life to keep it humid at ground level where your Tortoise is. Spray your plants to water them in turn this will keep your tort humid. Also make sure you have humid hides for him. Add some spaghnum moss to the hides.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Wet and cold is no good for a juvenile. What are your temps like. Is that room warm ?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Brooke, and welcome to the Forum!

That's a great tort table, with lots of room for the little guy, however, it's going to be hard to keep it warm enough and moist/humid enough because it's open. If you could construct some sort of framework over it, like maybe a PVC frame that you can drape plastic sheeting over, it would work well.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco

cupcake1674

Hi Brooke, and welcome! Definitely check out the redfoot section and Tortoise library information to tweak Linus' enclosure, as these guy need really high humidity and it looks a bit dry. Don't stress though, you'll find plenty of resources here and people who'll answer your questions and help you.

Linus is a cutie!
i have a dry side and a moist side the moist side is moss and has heat to keep it humid it stays around 80-90 on moist humid side i mist the enclosure down twice daily even dry side to keep dust down he has several caves to hide in some on warm side and some on cool side the light above his feeding stone is uvb bulb and i have a red heat on the moist side

TerrapinStation

Detroit, Michigan
Hello and Welcome!

Keep researching and learning as much as you can.

keep a close eye on your temps and humidity, as they are very important for a healthy redfoot. Seems like you are doing great so far, but you may want to think about a cover of some type as stated above, even if just to save $ on electrical bills.

What kind of UV bulb are you using?

Congrats!