Hello from Columbus, Ohio

Status
Not open for further replies.

envenomedcky

5 Year Member
Hello everybody! My name is Devin and I have a red footed tortoise named Morla. I have been fascinated by tortoises and turtles for my whole life, and I finally have the privilege of owning one! I made the mistake of buying her from Petsmart, and of course she was crawling with parasites. So after a vet visit (paid for by Petsmart after a nice letter I sent them :D) she is doing great! I currently have her set up in a large cement mixing tub with a powersun uv bulb, with an infared heat lamp that I use at night. Right now I am using alfalfa pellets as a substrate as advised by my vet, but I'm not too happy with it, and I think I may switch to a mix of play sand/top soil, from what I've been reading, it's great. After I get home from my next tour in January (I'm a professional musician), I will be constructing a tortoise table for her. I'm very excited to be a member here!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Devin:

Welcome to the forum!!

Its best to get habitat advice from the folks who keep those kinds of tortoise rather than from your vet. Please get rid of the alfalfa pellets at your earliest convenience and use either coconut coir, cypress mulch, sphagnum moss...anything like that that you can moisten. You can't moisten alfalfa pellets.

Who cares for your animals when you on the road?

envenomedcky

5 Year Member
coreyc said:
Welcome :) what's up with your Avatar ?

It's just an avatar I use on other forums, it's AC Slater from Saved By the Bell, with "SLATER" written in the band Slayer's font.

envenomedcky

5 Year Member
I take Morla to my mothers house when I'm on the road where she is very well cared for. As for the music I play, I play in a metal band called Oceano. I'm not sure what kind of music everybody on this forum listens to, but I have a lot of fun playing metal and I listen to just about everything :)

Smithen

5 Year Member
Cincinnati Ohio
Welcome! Good to see someone so close to my area, I'm from the cincinnati. I was just up your way last saturday actually going to a reptile show near Grove City. Good to see that you found your way to the forum, lots of very helpful people here.

Tyler

envenomedcky

5 Year Member
I was actually at that show! The All Ohio Reptile Show? It's a five minute drive from my house once a month :)

Smithen

5 Year Member
Cincinnati Ohio
envenomedcky said:
I was actually at that show! The All Ohio Reptile Show? It's a five minute drive from my house once a month :)

Yup thats the one lol, we might have walked right by each other and not have even known. I actually picked up two new Russians while I was up there.

Tyler

datsunissan28

5 Year Member
Ohio
envenomedcky said:

I was there as well. I hadn't been able to make it in three or four months, but I was glad to see more of old vendors have returned to the new location.

I still think the UAW hall was a better location.

I was really happy with the amount of tortoises there this time.

sayshelz

5 Year Member
envenomedcky said:
I take Morla to my mothers house when I'm on the road where she is very well cared for. As for the music I play, I play in a metal band called Oceano. I'm not sure what kind of music everybody on this forum listens to, but I have a lot of fun playing metal and I listen to just about everything :)

I am Morla's "grandma" :D
Morla is the sweetest little cutie pie. I'm gonna keep her :D

Status
Not open for further replies.