Hello from Delaware

Lottie413

Location (City and/or State)
New Castle
So I've always wanted a tortoise all my life but I do live in the North so I've kind of avoided getting one just to ensure I have a Decent habitat for him. However we were recently and a pet store and we saw Roshi.... He was eating a mix of spinach and kale which I thought they weren't supposed to have due to it inhibiting their ability to process calcium(I could be wrong, not an expert) . He has some major pyramiding on his shell, considering how young he is. His enclosure was way too small for his size. In the end we ended up adopting him. But now I have a malnourished tortoise with pyramiding on his shell and I'm getting different answers everywhere I look on how to stop it going forward I know I can't cure what's already there but a don't want it to get any worse. I would never buy a pet from a pet store but I just couldn't leave him there.... Any help would be greatly appreciated!

LaLaP

5 Year Member
Portland, OR
Hello and welcome! What type of tortoise is Roshi? Can we see a pic?
Depending on his age the damage may be done and the pyramiding will alway be there but proper care is the way to get him healthy. First we have to know his species since there is different care for different types. Also post pics of his enclosure and lights, etc. Unfortunately pet shops often sell people the wrong gear but we can help you to make sure you have the right stuff.

Lottie413

New Castle
Sorry lol he is an African spurred tortoise/sulcata.

So I've always wanted a tortoise all my life but I do live in the North so I've kind of avoided getting one just to ensure I have a Decent habitat for him. However we were recently and a pet store and we saw Roshi.... He was eating a mix of spinach and kale which I thought they weren't supposed to have due to it inhibiting their ability to process calcium(I could be wrong, not an expert) . He has some major pyramiding on his shell, considering how young he is. His enclosure was way too small for his size. In the end we ended up adopting him. But now I have a malnourished tortoise with pyramiding on his shell and I'm getting different answers everywhere I look on how to stop it going forward I know I can't cure what's already there but a don't want it to get any worse. I would never buy a pet from a pet store but I just couldn't leave him there.... Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Hello and welcome! What type of tortoise is Roshi? Can we see a pic?
Depending on his age the damage may be done and the pyramiding will alway be there but proper care is the way to get him healthy. First we have to know his species since there is different care for different types. Also post pics of his enclosure and lights, etc. Unfortunately pet shops often sell people the wrong gear but we can help you to make sure you have the right stuff.

20190627_175103.jpg

Lottie413

New Castle
He is a an African Spurred/Sulcata This enclosure is temporary, we didnt expect him. Right now it's very warm so we have him outside but I need to get him set up inside before the summer is over. We are going tomorrow to get better bedding for his box....we let him roa. The yard when we are home.

15616770483615508559829834584904.jpg

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
I would have done the same thing. That's why I don't go into pet stores. From what I have been told. If cared for properly Roshi,s pyramiding wont look as bad as they get bigger.
Stay on this forum and ask questions. There are members here that have raised sulcata's for years.
Oh welcome to you and Roshi!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi and welcome! Roshi is quite beautiful! Lovely shell. That little bit of pyramiding isn't bad at all. Your box enclosure is much too small for Roshi.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas

Lottie413

New Castle

Lottie413

New Castle
Hi and welcome! Roshi is quite beautiful! Lovely shell. That little bit of pyramiding isn't bad at all. Your box enclosure is much too small for Roshi.

Thank you!
What size do you recommend? In a few weeks he'll have the entire lower floor of my house20190628_115439.jpg . Will 4 1/2 ft x 4 1/2 ft be okay until then?