Hello from Cheeseburger!

Cheeseburger

Hello - Kara and Kenn here from Arkansas. We just purchased our new Russian Tortoise yesterday! His name is Cheeseburger.

We have a decent set up for Cheeseburger in a large tank with a cave, food and water dishes, UVB and a heat lamp for now. The ultimate goal is to build him an outdoor enclosure once we move.

The pet store where Cheeseburger was purchased said that they moisturized and waxed his shell every few days. I cannot find any information on this online. Does anyone have any insight - good or bad, do it or don't do it, or what to use?

Thanks!
received_10154384328189866.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Speedy-1

Location (City and/or State)
St. David Arizona
Hi and welcome , "soaking" in warm water will help keep Cheeseburger hydrated . Don't know about "waxing" should I say it ? Maybe you could use Turtle wax ?
m0136.gif

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Youngstown, Ohio
Welcome. This is a great place for all the info you may need. May exsperienced people to help.

Cheeseburger

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thanks, Tom! I will look into this. Cheeseburger's shell is very nice looking and I want to do our best to keep it that way!

I have a female South African Leopard tortoise that I named Hamburger due to shell shape.

Just thought you might find that amusing... :)

Cheeseburger

I have a female South African Leopard tortoise that I named Hamburger due to shell shape.

Just thought you might find that amusing... :)
Oh that's too funny! We dubbed our tort Cheeseburger since you hold them like a... well cheeseburger. It just stuck and now we love it!

HappyHermanns

Rochester, Michigan
Oh that's too funny! We dubbed our tort Cheeseburger since you hold them like a... well cheeseburger. It just stuck and now we love it!

Welcome!!
That is a very cute name for him! :<3:

I read that tortoises don't like when all of their feet aren't touching the ground.. Which makes sense, I guess, since they can't fly.. lol
Anyway.. Cheeseburger might like to know gravity hasn't forsaken him..If your carrying him around :D
Of course, I have hatchlings and they are easy to keep a hand under.. your guy is bigger, so maybe that doesn't apply so much..o_O:confused:lol

Cheeseburger

Welcome!!
That is a very cute name for him! :<3:

I read that tortoises don't like when all of their feet aren't touching the ground.. Which makes sense, I guess, since they can't fly.. lol
Anyway.. Cheeseburger might like to know gravity hasn't forsaken him..If your carrying him around :D
Of course, I have hatchlings and they are easy to keep a hand under.. your guy is bigger, so maybe that doesn't apply so much..o_O:confused:lol
Good to know! We don't carry him around too much, but do you suggest another way to carry him? Since you can't really "cuddle" them lol.

Thanks!

HappyHermanns

Rochester, Michigan
Good to know! We don't carry him around too much, but do you suggest another way to carry him? Since you can't really "cuddle" them lol.

Thanks!

We have a few years before we have to figure that part out.. lol.. our guys are pretty small. lol
I DID see a Handi-capable Tort on Lego wheels, that just cracked me up! haha
How big is he? he looks pretty big but pictures can be so deceiving..

On a side note, I didn't think they cuddled either but I have a funny store in the Hermann's tab under species that you might like and I think it proves that there ARE indeed mama Torts.. (like a mama's boy but with less whining.. lol!!). ;)

Cheeseburger

Yes, I LOVED the picture of the tortoises with Lego wheels!

I'll try to actually measures Cheeseburger tonight. We've been trying to figure out (roughly) how old he is. We are guestimating about 2-3 years.

And I will definitely find your story about a mama's tort! We have two Westies as well, so we haven't let Cheeseburger roam or get near the dogs just yet.

HappyHermanns

Rochester, Michigan

I'll try to actually measures Cheeseburger tonight. We've been trying to figure out (roughly) how old he is. We are guestimating about 2-3 years.

And I will definitely find your story about a mama's tort! We have two Westies as well, so we haven't let Cheeseburger roam or get near the dogs just yet.

lol.. I even seen a pic of 2 little Torts on skate boards.. I really want to get a few of those now and try it out- Skater Torts..:D:D!! hahaha

Good luck measuring! I hope that gives you an idea on age.. I know they each grow differently (like kids, everyone has their own pace) so it can be pretty tough to figure that out.
Maybe if you can see how big he will eventually get, that would help? Ours max out at 6-8" generally, I guess..

Thanks! It's a silly story, but I feel like a new mom telling everyone about my babies. haha
(My mama's boy) Oggi really interacts with us so it's so much cooler! lol

HappyHermanns

Rochester, Michigan

Oh.. I guess I named that thread; Funny story about our outgoing Tort.. I think mama's tort sounds better but oh well. haha