Hello from Florida-Desert Tortoises!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shellie

5 Year Member
Hi everyone!
I just found out about this forum and am very excited to join and participate. I live in Florida (hello humidity) and about 4.5 years ago I adopted two desert tortoise juveniles (Pixie & Trixie) from a vet school. They were the hatchlings of adult research experiments and obviously could not be returned to the wild. They came to me very young, maybe 1.5 years old and had pyramiding. They continue to grow, and they are big now, and while they have their original pyramiding all new shell growth is smooth so it seems that they are eating the proper diets. They also have very distinct personalities--one is laid back while the other is adventurous. I will be building a new outdoor enclosure since they have already outgrown their current one and will probably have questions for you. I would like to introduce them to new and edible plants, in addition to their current selection, so if you have success stories of plants/flowers that I can add, please let me know!!!

-Shellie

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
USA
Welcome to the forum Shellie :)

Are you sure you have Desert tortoises, Gopherus agassizii? and not Gopher tortoises, Gopherus polyphemus .

Danny

Shellie

5 Year Member
Hi Danny,
Yes, these are desert tortoises from the vet school--they were hatchlings from a desert tortoise (mohave desert) research experiment several years ago.

-Shellie

egyptiandan said:
Welcome to the forum Shellie :)

Are you sure you have Desert tortoises, Gopherus agassizii? and not Gopher tortoises, Gopherus polyphemus .

Danny

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Shellie:

1024177bjdmi3ug5f.gif
to the forum!!

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
Welcome to the forum. :D

OK, now show 'em! http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-5245.html

Then Danny can satisfy himself on the species you have, and the rest of us can admire your tortoises and give you lots of valuable advice about how to provide the best care for Pixie and Trixie. Yvonne and Maggie are two members here who have extensive experience with desert tortoises. I have no experience but love to read and view other people's Chelonians. :p

Shellie

5 Year Member
Stephanie Logan said:
Welcome to the forum. :D

OK, now show 'em! http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-5245.html

Then Danny can satisfy himself on the species you have, and the rest of us can admire your tortoises and give you lots of valuable advice about how to provide the best care for Pixie and Trixie. Yvonne and Maggie are two members here who have extensive experience with desert tortoises. I have no experience but love to read and view other people's Chelonians. :p

Hi! I'll try to post new pix today! They are slowly waking up from hibernation!

Status
Not open for further replies.