Hello from Vermont

whildefire

Location (City and/or State)
Vermont, USA
Hello. I'm a first time member to this forum. I have a Russian tortoise that is roughly 11 or 12 years old. His name is Fred. People often call him a turtle which irritates me a lot. I am in Vermont. My husband and I are planning on moving to Florida. We also have two dogs and a cat. We want to do some RVing before settling down in Florida. I don't think it would be a problem to take the dogs, cat and Fred with us but I worry about some states laws about not allowing tortoises in their states. I would hate to have to give Fred up. just the thought of it makes me so very sad. will post pic of Fred soon.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

I'm not up on the reptile laws for the states, but my gut feeling is pet tortoises would be ok. If you plan to release him, of course, that's against the law in all the states. He would be in his habitat inside the RV and I don't think it would be any different from your dog or cat.

I found this on petrelocation.com:

"We've checked with the airlines and know that they will not transport our tortoise. What are our options? We'd like to move him as cost effectively has possible. (He's about 6 inches long--still a baby.)

Hi Margaret! Your best bet for a cost-effective solution to move your tortoise would be to either drive your pet across country or hire a ground pet transportation service to do the drive. This can help keep costs down."

So it sounds like driving the exotic tortoise across state lines is ok. It's a whole 'nother set of rules for native tortoises, but you should be ok with a Russian.

Reactions: Tom

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Youngstown, Ohio
Welcome. Good luck with your travels. I don't think you will have a problem with a Russian as they are not native to the u.s. This is a great forum. Great source of info and people.