Hello im new.

Location (City and/or State)
Florida
Let me know what you guys think about Antonio Montana (Tony) i just weight him today and he is 46 g i just ask the breeder the exact hatching date but you can tell that is pretty young last time i checked he had baby tooth so i guess is less than 6 weeks.Does it looks like a male or female? I know that is almost "impossible" to tell but is fun reading guessing.
I bought him as sudanese Btw.

Attachments

• IMG_20200908_164718_023.jpg
    IMG_20200908_164718_023.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 36
  • IMG_20200908_152347_457.jpg
    IMG_20200908_152347_457.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 36
  • Screenshot_20200909-131024_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20200909-131024_Gallery.jpg
    364.3 KB · Views: 34

Golden Greek Tortoise 567

Colorado Springs,CO
Welcome! There’s no way to tell the sex at that age. You‘ll have to wait at least a couple years. Here’s our care sheet read carefully....

Florida
Welcome to the forum! There is no way at all to find out the gender of it. It's just a guessing game haha. But luckily you have a 50% chance of being right! ?
Yeah i been reading a lot so that's what I thought. What you think about the weight ?? Btw since I'm new in the tortoise world ? deeply appreciate any extra advice. ?

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Welcome, the care sheet Golden Greek sent you is the updated info. Dont confuse yourself surfing the internet. There is a lot of bad info out there.
Read the care sheets and ask questions.
We are here to help.
A pic of your enclosure would be great so we know you are on the right track.
Also welcome from a fellow sully owner from Florida.

Florida
Welcome, the care sheet Golden Greek sent you is the updated info. Dont confuse yourself surfing the internet. There is a lot of bad info out there.
Read the care sheets and ask questions.
We are here to help.
A pic of your enclosure would be great so we know you are on the right track.
Also welcome from a fellow sully owner from Florida.
Hey . Since im also in Florida i decided to have him outside, his enclosure is in a plastic box at the moment. Also i do have plenty of space in my back yard so i can create a large enclosure in the future i did another post asking if is correct feed him the back yard grass i wasn't sure 100% about that specific grass .im 100% new with tortoise .until now i was guiding myself from Youtube breeders that also lives in florida.he was sleeping now so i didn't open the lid wich i created myself btw ?

Attachments

• 20200910_002121.jpg
    20200910_002121.jpg
    11.7 MB · Views: 22
  • InShot_20200909_133707036.jpg
    InShot_20200909_133707036.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 21

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hey . Since im also in Florida i decided to have him outside, his enclosure is in a plastic box at the moment. Also i do have plenty of space in my back yard so i can create a large enclosure in the future i did another post asking if is correct feed him the back yard grass i wasn't sure 100% about that specific grass .im 100% new with tortoise .until now i was guiding myself from Youtube breeders that also lives in florida.he was sleeping now so i didn't open the lid wich i created myself btw ?
You've gotten a poorly started baby form someone who kept it too dry. I'm sorry to bring this bad news. Hopefully, the baby will recover and be fine.

As far as housing it outside, and learning from YouTube videos, both are mistakes. Both are going to lead to problems. If your goal is to have a healthy, thriving baby that grows up big and strong, please follow that care sheet.

Your questions are welcome. I'm happy to explain further.

Florida
What a little cutie! Welcome to the forum.
Thanks
You've gotten a poorly started baby form someone who kept it too dry. I'm sorry to bring this bad news. Hopefully, the baby will recover and be fine.

As far as housing it outside, and learning from YouTube videos, both are mistakes. Both are going to lead to problems. If your goal is to have a healthy, thriving baby that grows up big and strong, please follow that care sheet.

Your questions are welcome. I'm happy to explain further.
Please explain. How is that possible i take my time every day since i have him for a week now and soak him on water he drink poop and i feed him while taking the natural morning sun .also i haven't buy it yet but i will buy lighting for those cold days in winter. I buy him from turtles and tortoises inc . He is very active eat right and poop right from my lil experience in tortoise.

Last edited:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thanks

Please explain. How is that possible i take my time every day since i have him for a week now and soak him on water he drink poop and i feed him .also i haven't buy it yet but i will buy lighting for those cold days in winter. I buy him from turtles and tortoises inc . He is very active eat right and poop right from my lil experience in tortoise.
It has nothing to do with what YOU are doing. It has to do with what the breeder did not do. Read this for more explanation: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/sudan-sulcatas-this-never-gets-old.184832/

And this: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-incubate-eggs-and-start-hatchlings.124266/

That scab where the umbilical scar is tells the story about not being started correctly. That should have been completely healed up and gone before this baby ever set foot in an enclosure, much less got sold. Then, see the big notch between the scutes? That is from being housed too dry, and its the start of pyramiding.

I've done several side-by-side comparisons with groups of clutch mates, and babies do far better, in every way, when kept mostly indoors in a warm humid closed chamber, which simulates what they are hatched into in the wild. Outdoors in Florida will be fantastic when it gets a little bigger, but babies will grow better and be healthier if kept mostly indoors.

Florida
It has nothing to do with what YOU are doing. It has to do with what the breeder did not do. Read this for more explanation: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/sudan-sulcatas-this-never-gets-old.184832/

And this: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-incubate-eggs-and-start-hatchlings.124266/

That scab where the umbilical scar is tells the story about not being started correctly. That should have been completely healed up and gone before this baby ever set foot in an enclosure, much less got sold. Then, see the big notch between the scutes? That is from being housed too dry, and its the start of pyramiding.

I've done several side-by-side comparisons with groups of clutch mates, and babies do far better, in every way, when kept mostly indoors in a warm humid closed chamber, which simulates what they are hatched into in the wild. Outdoors in Florida will be fantastic when it gets a little bigger, but babies will grow better and be healthier if kept mostly indoors.
He also still have the baby tooth i was thinking that maybe was too early for a baby being sold but again my experience is very poor .what you think about the weight?46g it is normal ? Anything that i can do to reverse all this ?

Florida
He also still have the baby tooth i was thinking that maybe was too early for a baby being sold but again my experience is very poor .what you think about the weight?46g it is normal ? Anything that i can do to reverse all this ?
This is him without instagram filters i was thinking that maybe that make it looks different to you .maybe ?‍♂️

Attachments

• 20200910_012109.jpg
    20200910_012109.jpg
    5.7 MB · Views: 33

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
This is him without instagram filters i was thinking that maybe that make it looks different to you .maybe ?‍♂️

It's even more noticeable on this picture. See how each scute is raised up from the keratin surrounding it? That's pyramiding at the very start, and it's caused by being kept too dry immediately after hatching.

That dryness damages their kidneys. Some make it, some don't. You'll have a pretty good idea how it's going to go in a couple weeks, when he should grow quickly and put on weight. I really hope he does.

What you need to remember is that whatever happens, it is not your fault. This was determined as soon as he hatched, by the breeder, long before you brought him home. All you can do now is give optimal care and love.

Read the info Tom gave you, and get him into a closed chamber ASAP. My prayers will be that your baby beats the odds and you have a long life together.

mastershake

5 Year Member
Florida
the more humid you can keep him now hopefully you can stop further pyramiding and get him back to normal. also im curious did he show you actual parent to know these are sudans? the one pic he uses on fauna classifieds of the adult i know is not his from a reputable source. if you can get this one nice and humid on a constant basis you should be able to at least stop the damage and prevent it from getting worse. over time with it being this minimal you will hardly notice it visually the key now is to get him going in the right direction.

Florida
It's even more noticeable on this picture. See how each scute is raised up from the keratin surrounding it? That's pyramiding at the very start, and it's caused by being kept too dry immediately after hatching.

That dryness damages their kidneys. Some make it, some don't. You'll have a pretty good idea how it's going to go in a couple weeks, when he should grow quickly and put on weight. I really hope he does.

What you need to remember is that whatever happens, it is not your fault. This was determined as soon as he hatched, by the breeder, long before you brought him home. All you can do now is give optimal care and love.

Read the info Tom gave you, and get him into a closed chamber ASAP. My prayers will be that your baby beats the odds and you have a long life together.
I had no idea it was that serious. Thank you guys let's see if everything gets better i hope so because my whole family including me like him already.

Florida
Florida
this whole sudan thing i can see being an even bigger issue in the future as there is no way to tell for years if they really are or not.
To be honest i was about to buy another one from them too .i mean like i said im not an expert and in my eyes the baby was "looking good"