Hello! New here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bandi09

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hello! Well I just posted on the Greek tortoise thread and Danny is amazing he could tell from a little picture that I had a Russian Male Tortoise. So here I am. I am mad. I have had him since 10/07 and all of the research I have done is on Greeks, from food to tempature, to humidity. Petstores....

Anyway, so here I am to learn about Russian tortoises.

We are moving to the East coast in 6 weeks, Danny recommended shipping him, I was planning on taking him with us. He is used to us? Anyone ever traveled with their tortoise? I was orginally concerned because I thought he wouldn't do well in humid weather but since he is not a greek maybe he will do fine.

Any tips would be great.

Thanks,

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
USA
Traveling with a tortoise is very stressful to the tortoise. It's not like traveling with a cat or dog. You have to worry about temperature, ie. him getting to hot or becoming to cold. He probably won't eat during a trip that long.
Just to give an example, one of our members, EJ, moved from California to Georgia with his tortoises. He did it in either 2 or 3 days, but unfortunately lost animals during the trip and after the trip. He's been keeping tortoises for about 30 years and this happened to him.
Having him shipped would really be the best thing for him.

Danny

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I tend to go against the norm and this is going to be the same in this case. Danny does have valid points. However after doing some traveling with several tortoises (sometimes for a couple of weeks) and the fact this is a Russian, I would say if your careful go with taking him yourself.

Russians tend to be more outgoing and are usually good eaters with high stress thresh holds, which makes them good candidates. Not saying it will be easy. To be honest it is harder and more time consuming traveling with a tortoise. Little things have to be addressed and watched all the way along.

For me, I would rather be the one controlling what is happening to my animal, then sending him off in a box with strangers who have no idea how to care for my animal (the UPS, FedEx, DHL person ect..,). If things aren't going well I can correct it immediately not hours later, when the animal arrives.

On another thread RedfootNerd (I think) gave some good ideas for traveling. She also asked in another site and got some more thoughts. Let's see if I can find it for ya.

bandi09

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I know it is a hard call. I know I would feel better if he was with me. He very outgoing and eats like a horse. He will eat anything out of my hand. We always turtle proof different areas of the house and let me roam, (with supervision of course) we take him outside and he explores with no problems and eats grass and weeds. He never seems nervous or stressed.

We are moving in 6 weeks, should I start taking him on short car rides and taking him out doors more? Or does that matter. I don't know if they remember things or not. I was going to bring his heat light, I have an adapter that I can plug into my car so he can have his usual 12 hours of light. I was going to put him on the floor, inbetween the driver and and passenger seat, the air in the back comes shooting down, we don't have the air on the floor on, and in the front it would blow over him, I velcrow his gages for temp and humidity in his current pen, so I would do the same.

He is currently in his aquarium (that the wonderful pet store sold us) since we are moving and packing he is in there, he will get his big turtle box when we move. (the aquarium will be tossed) Should I use a rubbermaid container for the drive or the aquarium since he is used to it? The area it is in is out of the sun, and I don't plan on keeping him in the car at night he will be with us. He usually sleeps during the day. His bedding is shredded cocunut and he loves to bury himself and sleep.

I guess I was orginally thinking if he was in his normal home he would be fine. I didn't think he would notice too much except for the vibration. I am glad I am looking into this.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Hmmm now see I would be a bit scared about using the light while in the car. Would be worried that with a good bump or if in a crash (knock on wood) it might fall down on either him and hurt him or even on something else and start a fire. Those lights can get hot and I know how easy it is for them to get moved/fall. He can easily go without a light for that amount of time.

Same goes with traveling in a glass aquarium. We break several tanks here every year just with normal bumps or little drops when cloroxing in the tub (we use them for other reptiles and water turtles). I would never travel with an animal in one. Way too easy to break and harm the animal. They also can quickly become heat traps with the sun shining in the window and then into them.

One of the first things I advise is to expect the worse. Ask yourself if where your tort will be placed is safe in a car accident? Is what he is in safe? Is he safe from changes in temps? (things like heating/AC in the car, open windows, sun coming in the window are things to think of) What if the car breaks down and your stranded along the roadside.

Me, I love the plastic containers. Cheap, light weight, have tight lids, can drill air holes in them, can easily clean them, can soak in them, ect.., I usually try to have two there to use. One set up more like a bed (small) and then a larger one for the exercising/feeding time. The small one is also good in case of an emergency. Like your car breaks down and you have to "sneak" him into the store while you wait to have it fixed.

Yes never leave him in the car overnight. Temps usually drop too low then. Also think about during the heat of the day. It may be too hot to safely leave him in the car while you eat. You have to work your trip a bit around him. His comfort comes before yours. He needs a stable warm temp level, will you be comfortable with that? Or whoever else is driving with you? Are you willing to not do any stops longer then five minute potty breaks, if the temps are too warm or maybe too cold?

Each animal is a bit different. Your going to need to watch your tort for stress.

bandi09

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Do you think I should switch how to a Rubbermaid container so he gets used to it?

The only stops we are making are bathroom stops. Even to eat it will probably be a drive through. I have 2 dogs, one is almost 13 I would never leave them unattended in the car.

We plan on taking 6 days, about 8 hours of driving a day. Do you think it is better to try to lengthen the driving time to get their faster or would the break be better for him.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
With dogs in the car, be sure to leave the lid on when you take your breaks. I know your two won't probably hurt him, but there is always a chance (or maybe somebody else reading this might need the reminder). Always better safe then sorry.

I really don't think the length of your driving time will make a big difference to him. I would see how well the dogs and humans can handle longer. The experimenting I did was in a semi truck. Much bumpier then most cars and we were usually driving 12 hour days.

Won't hurt to switch him now and it gets one more thing crossed off the "Things to do before we leave list".

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
My sister lives in Oregon and I live in California. Whenever she drives down here she brings her babies and her 45lb sulcata. For the babies she uses:

http://www.heatmax.com/HotHands/retailinfo.htm

But for the big guy she just puts him into his wooden Motel 6 box. She usually stays one night in a motel, and so she also brings a couple clamp lights with black light bulbs to place over the containers at night. Because the Motel 6 box is dark, Bob usually sleeps the whole time he's in it. Same for the babies. As long as they are dark, they are usually quiet.

Yvonne

bandi09

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
So this makes me feel better reading that people have had success. I really didn't think (I am fairly new to this so it I really don't know that much) he would know what was going on if he was in a rubbermaid tub with his same shavings, I know he would feel the vibration for the car but other then that I didn't think he would notice.

I was planning on feeding him like normal. In the morning and evening. He loves to eat, and will take anything from hand. I know they can go some time without eating.

Thank you for all the advice! I will take any and all I can get.

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
Welcome to the forum! Where are you moving on the east coast?

bandi09

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
We are moving from CA to NC. We are orginally from IL.

Status
Not open for further replies.