Hello new member

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spike

5 Year Member
I have been reading this forum for some time now, and I would like to contribute.
Well we have a 70 something Desert Tortoise we adopted about 7 - 10 years ago
1 about 2 year old Desert Tortoise
1 about 5 year old African Sulcata Tortoise that we adopted back in May of this year.

The Reason I joined is because our family loves our tortoises and the little one has something wrong with its mouth. We rescued it from somebody who did not want to deal with it. We have been giving Peanut Reptaid XL for some time now and it is not getting better. I am going to find a thread I can discuss this further. It is nice to finally join this forum.

Attachments

• rafi and spike2.jpg
    rafi and spike2.jpg
    280.5 KB · Views: 58
  • peanut1.jpg
    peanut1.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 64

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Spike (may we know YOUR name?):

Welcome to the forum!!

I think Spike is a girl. You really shouldn't have the desert tortoise and the sulcata in the same pen, however, the damage has been done. They don't share the same type of pathogens and sometimes it makes the other species ill.

Your little one looks very sick. Has Peanut also been in contact with Spike? You say there's something wrong with his mouth. What do you mean by that? Do you mean that it is open? He may be trying to breathe and his nose is plugged up. The eyes don't look good at all. Give him a nice, warm soak and see if it doesn't help a bit, but my advice would be to find a good reptile/tortoise vet and take Peanut in. It may be a respiratory infection, but we really can't say for sure in an online situation.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome. Peanut looks like he needs a warm soak to loosen up the gunk around his mouth. I can't tell if he's got an abscess or or just built up dried crud. Does he open his eyes?

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Welcome to the forum :)

It looks like Peanut has either a bacterial or fungal infection of the corner of his/her mouth. Start out with a triple antibiotic ointment for a week. If that doesn't show any improvement, it's a fungal infection and you'll need to use a good athletes foot cream on the spot.

Danny

Spike

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
Hi Spike (may we know YOUR name?):

Welcome to the forum!!

I think Spike is a girl. You really shouldn't have the desert tortoise and the sulcata in the same pen, however, the damage has been done. They don't share the same type of pathogens and sometimes it makes the other species ill.

Your little one looks very sick. Has Peanut also been in contact with Spike? You say there's something wrong with his mouth. What do you mean by that? Do you mean that it is open? He may be trying to breathe and his nose is plugged up. The eyes don't look good at all. Give him a nice, warm soak and see if it doesn't help a bit, but my advice would be to find a good reptile/tortoise vet and take Peanut in. It may be a respiratory infection, but we really can't say for sure in an online situation.

Hello, my name is Sandy,
What do you mean when you say the damage has been done?
We had spike looked at and they say he is a boy because of the V on the bottom part of the shell under his neck.
Peanut has never been around the spike. When we got peanut he had the crud on the side of his mouth. The crud on his mouth started as a little hole on the side of his mouth and then fell off, when we started using the Reptaid. There is actually a hole on the side of his mouth. The crud builds up again then falls off. Peanut does get soaked at least once a week. I was just wondering what steps should I take from this bacteria from coming back. I know it is hard to diagnose over the internet, but was wondering if this is familiar with somebody. And yes peanut does open his eyes and is very active. He just has a hole on the side of his face.

Attachments

• Peanut_mouth1.jpg
    Peanut_mouth1.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 23
M

Maggie Cummings

I have a Pacific Coast Pond Turtle who stopped eating and every time I offered her food she would use her front feet to brush at her mouth like the food smelled bad. So after doing a lot of stuff that doesn't matter my DIL came over and helped me open her mouth because I thought she might have a fish bone caught in it. But it was full of a cheezy substance that totally covered the roof of her mouth. I thought it was rot and I took a Q tip with Nolvasan on it and when I gently swiped the stuff, the whole roof of her mouth came off. It was a big lesion under the cheese stuff. So she was at the vets the next morning and the cheese stuff was a tumor like thing growing from a stem. She had surgery to remove it, but she had lesions all over her mouth and down her throat. Many tests later showed that she had Tuberculosis that presented itself as those lesions.
So I am saying that what your guy has looks like (loosely) looks like what Wobbles had. TB. So I am thinking you need to have your Vet test your guy for Tuberculosis.
It looks like what Wobbles had, I am just trying to help, I am not a Vet, just missing my TV show to make a suggestion that your guys problem looks like what my turtle had...Tuberculosis...it presents itself as lesions...just like what your guys mouth looks like...

Status
Not open for further replies.