Hello! New to the Forum Get my little Guy/Girl Friday

typoon221

Good evening everyone!

My name is Aaron and I have finally decided to get a Horsefield Tortoise!
I will of course upload a photo of Him/Her and when we decided on a name I will update you (Im finding this hard as will not know the sex).

I know there is lots of controversy with regards to how to keep them. I live in the Uk so my house temperature can fluctuate. Due to this I have decided to get a viv ( I have added extra vents for ventalation and ensured that the part of the glass he/she will see is taped on the outside so the tortoise does not run into the glass.

I also already have a enclosure for summer outside which im also excited about :D

Only thing im worried about is how to provide weeds for him/her at this time of year, I know of veggies and some salad etc but I also read the weeds are a huge part of their diet, how do I go about this when weeds are not currently growing?

Any tips you guys have will be great! I do apologise to the people who are big on Turtle Tables but I can not guarantee a stable temperature so I believe that a viv is the best way to go for me. and then summer it will be outside!

Nice to meet you all :D x

typoon221

Hello! I am getting one from a local reptile shop, it is one of last years hatchlings soo will be a fews months old.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum, Aaron!

sammy33

Hi and welcome we rescued a 5yr old Horsefield, we live in Scotland and We've been finding it hard to grow weeds or nastrisiums

typoon221

Hi and welcome we rescued a 5yr old Horsefield, we live in Scotland and We've been finding it hard to grow weeds or nastrisiums
What have you been feeding your tort mainly then? This is the situation I'm in. No access to weeds till summer :(

Rue

Canada
I'm in the same boat...no weeds available yet - just had a snow storm yesterday. So far I'm buying produce...spring and field mix lettuce...and sorting through to feed more of the 'better' material, and less of the 'worse' material in the bags. I've also added watercress and a bit of kale.

And nothing gets wasted...after I pull the tortoise food...we eat the rest! :)

Although, you'd think when I fed my crew the extra kale...I was trying to poison them...:rolleyes:

I think I will also try growing some plants indoors (so I'm more prepared for next winter)...could be a fun experiment.

Linhdan Nguyen

Maryland
I'm in the same boat...no weeds available yet - just had a snow storm yesterday. So far I'm buying produce...spring and field mix lettuce...and sorting through to feed more of the 'better' material, and less of the 'worse' material in the bags. I've also added watercress and a bit of kale.

And nothing gets wasted...after I pull the tortoise food...we eat the rest! :)

Although, you'd think when I fed my crew the extra kale...I was trying to poison them...:rolleyes:

I think I will also try growing some plants indoors (so I'm more prepared for next winter)...could be a fun experiment.
Im going to plant some seed mixes soon also, so i dont have to keep buying spring mix for my babies. I know there are others on the forum that do this too. And im a vegetarian so The veggies that i buy for my babies dont get wasted either :)

Reactions: Rue

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
salutations enjoy your visits to the Forum.

typoon221

Im going to plant some seed mixes soon also, so i dont have to keep buying spring mix for my babies. I know there are others on the forum that do this too. And im a vegetarian so The veggies that i buy for my babies dont get wasted either :)
Thank you everyone for your warm welcomes! With regards to this where do you buy your spring mix from ? I want to get food in ready for his/her arrival tomorrow night x

Linhdan Nguyen

Maryland
Thank you everyone for your warm welcomes! With regards to this where do you buy your spring mix from ? I want to get food in ready for his/her arrival tomorrow night x
From any grocery store . Look for the ones that are organic/pesticide free and with less spinach

sammy33

Hi he's not eating much at moment but a mix of pea shoots,odd snap dragon, kale, mixed salad leaves, spinach occasional cherry tomato & piece of cucumber. We planted heather, viola and pansies in his winter des res as the tortoise mix seeds were not a success.