Hello y'all... I'm new here.

SheldonsBigBang

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Hello y'all! I am new to the forum. Decided to see what other people do for their sulcatas. I have a 13.5 year old that's decided to grow fast. I just expanded his outdoor pen from an 8'x8' to approximately 8'x16'. I've realized that he is almost too big for the 16" terra cotta saucer I have for his water. What do y'all do other than dig a hole in the ground?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 51
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 47

christinaland128

5 Year Member
Metro Detroit
Hello welcome to the forum! I don't have many suggestions for outdoor enclosures but we have many threads here with pictures that are quite useful! I'm going to guess your lattice might be an issue since tortoises can be surprisingly Houdini-like and be master escapers.:D

Beautiful Sulcata!

As for water, a water hole might turn into a mud bath for her! (Which she actually might enjoy!)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
your tortoise is probably big enough that the little space you have dedicated is too small.

I use the top of a garbage dumpster for my sulcata's waterer.

474158gy04azrh2x.gif

SheldonsBigBang

5 Year Member
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Thank y'all very much. I look forward to learning more from y'all and others on here. Looking through pictures others have posted just excites me even more.

@christinaland128 the only issue I've ever had with the lattice was he tried to dig under it once to evade the heat. After putting shelter for him, he's never tried it since. He does push on it at times, but he doesn't get anywhere due to the rebar holding it up and the twist-ties in strategic locations.

@Yvonne G are you referring to the pen as being too small or the water hole as too small? I want to give him the best growing conditions I can, and all your help is greatly appreciated.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:) I do believe Yvonne was talking about the enclosure. However, I'm not sure if she realized the 8x8 is now 8x16. It will need enlarging soon I would figure though.

SheldonsBigBang

5 Year Member
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Hello and Welcome:) I do believe Yvonne was talking about the enclosure. However, I'm not sure if she realized the 8x8 is now 8x16. It will need enlarging soon I would figure though.

That's what I'm thinking, too. I just want to verify. I also enlarged it yesterday and today. I still have plenty room for more expanding. I'm excited to see him get big enough where I can let him roam the yard freely instead of penning him up.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
A hole in the ground :D with a a nice big chicken tub feeder (it's like 2' or something) I just going to say that lattice is probably not going to kepp him in..
He is very pretty though,

chiefbit

5 Year Member
Southern California
We have two 70-ish pound sulcatas and we found that the plastic containers that you can get at hardware centers to store your Christmas wreaths in are the perfect size for my boys to use as fresh water and/or soaks. They always have 2 as well as a mud hole. I hope this helps! :)ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1408005526.518169.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1408005574.243336.jpg

Devoted to my 3 boys
1 husband Paul
1 70 pound sulcata Touché
1 65 pound sulcata AZ