Hello:)

HappyKauaian

Hello Everyone!

I've noticed some white marks on the shell of my sulcata tortoise and I'm not sure what it is. It's on the top and bottom of its shell. Has anyone else noticed this on their tortoises before? He/she otherwise seems normal. I've posted some pics. Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated. Thank you!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    658.2 KB · Views: 27
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    565.3 KB · Views: 19

Alaskamike

Location (City and/or State)
South Florida
I do see the white spots. I think that is water residue , maybe from hard water. A toothbrush would take them off.

Could ask be a bit of white mold. It grows easily in humid environments here in Florida and sometimes I have to remove it from my torts that live outside. I scrub it off and then apply a very little lamisal ( anti fungal cream ) to the area I see it and it's gone in a day.

HappyKauaian

I do see the white spots. I think that is water residue , maybe from hard water. A toothbrush would take them off.

Could ask be a bit of white mold. It grows easily in humid environments here in Florida and sometimes I have to remove it from my torts that live outside. I scrub it off and then apply a very little lamisal ( anti fungal cream ) to the area I see it and it's gone in a day.

Hello! I do scrub him with a toothbrush regularly and the marks don't come off and I don't think they are hard water stains. The marks seem to be just under the shell surface. Does that still sound like a fungal issue to you? Thank you!

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
Oh you mean the white squiggles? They won't wash off - they're within the shell. Very common to see them during growth - they're usually associated with well hydrated tortoises.

HappyKauaian

Oh you mean the white squiggles? They won't wash off - they're within the shell. Very common to see them during growth - they're usually associated with well hydrated tortoises.

Hello! Yes...those white squiggles were getting me all paranoid! Lol! I'd say my tortoise is pretty hydrated and has been growing. Do they go away? Thank you!

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
Hello! Yes...those white squiggles were getting me all paranoid! Lol! I'd say my tortoise is pretty hydrated and has been growing. Do they go away? Thank you!

They fade over time. As far as I know, we still don't really understand what makes them show up, but they're very common. Just search for squiggly lines here to see how many others have seen the same on their tortoises. Mine has them too.

HappyKauaian

They fade over time. As far as I know, we still don't really understand what makes them show up, but they're very common. Just search for squiggly lines here to see how many others have seen the same on their tortoises. Mine has them too.
Thank you so much! Happy to learn that it's not something really horrible!

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum to you and your lovely tortoise.
All looks perfectly normal to me! :)