Hello!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JuliaRB

5 Year Member
I'm here because my daughter (almost 7) has her heart set on getting a Russian tortoise. I suggested she ask Santa for it because waiting 6 months (1) will ensure that this is not a temporary fixation (I don't think it is, but I want to be absolutely certain) and (2) will give me time to learn everything necessary to keep the critter happy and healthy. This will be my first foray into (knowingly) sharing a home with a reptile, so I have much to learn.

regards,
Julia

Isa

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Montreal, QC, Canada
Welcome to the forum Julia,
It is a very good idea to learn everything you can before getting the tortoise :) I am sure you will learn a lot on this forum :)

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Welcome to the forum Julia. Good decision to wait until you know more about it and make sure it's not just a phase with your 7 year old. Russians are extremely cute though so I know it's hard once you see one. You are at the right place to find out everything you need to know on raising one though. Let us know how we can help. ;)

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Welcome to the group! It is so refreshing to see that you want to do the right thing and do the research. Make sure she knows that a tortoise isn't something to be carried or cuddled--it is a pet to observe. I think it is amazing just to watch them eat. They have so much personality. Let us know how we can help. :)

JuliaRB

5 Year Member
Thanks! I expect I will do the bulk of the work for the next few years, but DD will take charge of the lavishing of love from the get-go. DD's been very responsible with the cats and her insects. She's ushered many a monarch and swallowtail caterpillar through to butterfly release over the last 3 years. I think she'll do well with a tortoise. I hope tortoises like to be chatted to though. :)

regards,
Julia

TortieLuver

5 Year Member
Arizona
Welcome Julia to he forum! You will learn a lot here. God idea with the Santa thing and waiting. I have done that before too to ensure my son really wants what he was asking for and will enjoy long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.