Hello

M_ell

Location (City and/or State)
Wales
Hello,

I’m new to the forum today. I’m based in the UK and have two 4 year old Horsefield tortoises, one male, one female I believe. I came across this forum as I was looking into why they’ve become sleepy and not eating this last week. I’m finding lots of good advice in the threads and looking forward to learning more about your tortoises.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
This time of year the species that brumate will start to slow. If you don't brumate them, then be sure to make their enclosure bright during the day and don't let temps go below 70 at night
Also do not house them together if you are. That is very stressful for them, the male will try to breed the single female to death or illness.
Are you sure one is of each sex? Lots of people sell them saying what sex they are but they can not be sexed as hatchlings. It takes them 3-5 years to be accurately sexed.
Post pics of their tail area top and bottom and we can be sure you have the sex you say.

M_ell

Wales
This time of year the species that brumate will start to slow. If you don't brumate them, then be sure to make their enclosure bright during the day and don't let temps go below 70 at night
Also do not house them together if you are. That is very stressful for them, the male will try to breed the single female to death or illness.
Are you sure one is of each sex? Lots of people sell them saying what sex they are but they can not be sexed as hatchlings. It takes them 3-5 years to be accurately sexed.
Post pics of their tail area top and bottom and we can be sure you have the sex you say.
Thanks for your reply. I have the light on 12 hrs on a timer. I’ve had them since 10 months old and as they’ve grown they’ve begun to look distinctly different. One is larger and looking at how to sex them, they do look to be different sexes. It would be good to get someone else’s opinion so I will take a photo in a moment and share.

M_ell

Wales
Here is the first one. This one’s tail sticks out straight where as the other is curled around under the edge of its shell . One has a circular opening and the other elongated more like a line.

Attachments

• IMG_3539.jpeg
    IMG_3539.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_3554.jpeg
    IMG_3554.jpeg
    990.9 KB · Views: 4

M_ell

Wales
The other does not want to poke their tail out long enough to photograph!

Attachments

• IMG_3542.jpeg
    IMG_3542.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_3541.jpeg
    IMG_3541.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_3552.jpeg
    IMG_3552.jpeg
    214.3 KB · Views: 2

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Okay, so you have two Russians. They are not housed together right? Russians are really a species that should not be housed in pairs, actually none should be. They also each need their own 4x8 foot enclosure.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I think they are still too small to positively ID. If they are housed together, this can affect them sexually maturing at the rate they should and so will take longer to show its sex 100%. All tortoises look female until they do start showing their true sex.

M_ell

Wales
Okay, so you have two Russians. They are not housed together right? Russians are really a species that should not be housed in pairs, actually none should be. They also each need their own 4x8 foot enclosure.
They’re each in a 2x4 foot currently, half soft substrate, half straw pellets, with places to shelter, basking at one end so that they can wander away. One like to tuck itself under leaves to sleep, the other has a bark tunnel that they like

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Get rid of the of the pellets, they are not good for tortoises. Use all orchid bark or coconut coir or combo of both.
They also need some humidity 50-80% and the pellets will mold.
Read the caresheet in the Mediterranean section to properly care for them.
Also a 2x4 is small for a 4 year old. They each need a minimum of a 4x8 foot.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello,

I’m new to the forum today. I’m based in the UK and have two 4 year old Horsefield tortoises, one male, one female I believe. I came across this forum as I was looking into why they’ve become sleepy and not eating this last week. I’m finding lots of good advice in the threads and looking forward to learning more about your tortoises.
Hello and welcome!

Start here:

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Hello and welcome. I have a little male Russian.😊 pictures of the enclosure would also help every one give you some input.🤗