Hello

Status
Not open for further replies.

shelzNH

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
New England
Hi there, I have been browsing for a few weeks and decided to finally post an introduction. We have a baby Sulcata named Baggins. He is about a year and a half. He is our first tortoise. In the past we have had everything from Red Tail Boas to Tegus.. We operated a foster home through a local reptile rescue for many years. Then we became parents to human children 11 years ago and have had less time and space to devote to rescue. Our love for our cold blooded friends still endures however. Currently we have two Ball Pythons, a guinea pig and a labrador. Last year we added a newly hatched Sulcata from a local breeder. Technically he belongs to my 11 year old son but we care for our creatures together.

Baggins (or Baggy Pants as he is fondly referred to at times) has been a source of great joy for all of us. He is so much fun to have around. Naturally we anticipated some issues with having such a large reptile in a place like New England. This is partly why we decided on a Sulcata as we had learned that they were more hardy...We plan to do what we need to accommodate his size. For now is quite small. Throughout the spring summer and most of the fall he spent the majority of his time in an outdoor enclosure grazing at will on our unfertilized lawn. Now that it is too cold for that he is inside in a long plastic tub in which I have been growing some grass, clovers etc....but it has been hard to keep up. He levels it very quickly... I have tried to feed him hay with no success. I have tried both Bermuda hay and Timothy hay. I have tried soaking it and have tried smearing pumpkin puree on it. He wants nothing to do with it. I will occasionally toss in a leaf of lettuce like romaine or green leaf. I understand that veggies shouldn't be his diet though. I really want to stick to the grass and weeds as much as possible but could use some pointers for the winter months ahead. If it is growing out of the ground he will eat it...or if I pick it fresh ...but anything dried he balks at. When I toss the lettuce in he comes running like you wouldn't believe. Anyways, I look forward to gleaning as much tort-related wisdom as I can from you folks. Thanks!
Michelle :tort:

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Hi and welcome! :D Great intro by the way. Usually young sulcata tend to not be so eager to eat the dried hays. That tends to come with age and wisdom, lol or may be just getting so big they are constantly wanting food no matter how dry and unappealing it might be. :D

Actually it makes sense that younger ones would rather eat fresh greens. First they need more moisture then adults, because their small body mass loses it's supply quicker. Green fresh food supplies additional moisture content over dry. Two they are little and their beaks really aren't always strong enough for the older plants, which tend to be what hay is from. Third as babies, they are closer to the earth and near to things just sprouting, where a larger animal needs to let plants get just a few leaves more before they can be bothered to eat them. :D Atleast those are my thoughts. :D

Once more, welcome!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Michelle:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome. Mine usually won't start eating the dry hay until they are over a foot long.

Here's my baby care sheet and there is a paragraph in there with what foods I like to feed.
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-How-To-Raise-Sulcata-Hatchlings-and-Babies#axzz1gYJ5Vzvt

Here's another technique: Bermuda hay rehydrates pretty easily and looks like real fresh grass when it does. You can use a variety of store bought greens over the winter and add some grass hay to it. First chop up the greens and spray the pile with water, then use some scissors to chop up a small amount of bermuda hay on top of the pile. If you cut up the grass really fine it will stick to the wet greens and rehydrate. You can mix it all up and spray more water on it too. He will accidentally eat some with every bite and slowly get used to the taste and texture. Start with a tiny amount of hay, and over time you can add larger and larger amounts of hay.

Good luck.

evlinLoutries

5 Year Member
Indonesia
hello, and welcome to the forum!:)

btw, u need to post ur :tort: pict..

hello, and welcome to the forum!:)

btw, u need to post ur :tort: pict..:D

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
Welcome to the Forum Michelle!

I have the same problem with WalkingRock. He wont eat anything unless its fresh! I was kinda hoping he would grow out of that, but at age 11, I've given up hope and just let him graze on all the fresh bermuda grass he can eat....and of course my monkey grass during the winter months!

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
shelzNH said:
Zamric said:
of course my monkey grass during the winter months!

monkey grass?? Please explain :)

I'm not sure of it's name but it is used most often as an ornamental grass it grows about 18"-24" (the sprinkler head in the lower right corner of the bed is 40"tall) and looks like this when its allowed to fill a bed...
DSCN0422.jpg

this is my front yard and where I get all my transplants for the back yard...

This is part of my back yard that had alot more monkey grass but WalkingRock started in it last year. He likes to eat the long leaf of grass during the winter....
DSCN0416.jpg
DSCN0418.jpg

....and this is what it looks like after he has eaten the new shoot that come during the Summer. This patch he ate 2 winters ago (one of them any how) and nibbles on it all Summer long as it tries to regrow. I suspect this Summer he will eat it to the roots as he has done to 3 other small beds that I used to have.... At least he eats it on a fairly regulare rotation!
DSCN0419.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.