hello

Status
Not open for further replies.

rayneygirl

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
SoCal
my name is rayne and I live in socal. I have rescued a sulcata that i'm told is five years old. her name is maui and her shell isn't in that great of shape and her back legs are weak, yet shes a fast walker and an enthusiastic eater. her first owners were horrid with her diet, feeding her tomatoes and lettuce. her second owners did what they could I guess, keeping her in a large-ish aquarium and feeding her kale and other spring mixes. I have her now, today is my 3rd day having her. I have been taking her out of her wooden outdoor enclosure during the day and letting her roam in the grass for about 45 min to graze and get exercise. her shell is about 8 to 10 inches in length, and a little flat. so far I have fed her grass and dandelions, some rose petals. she has adequate water, and a hide that she like to burrow around in. I have questions as to what substrate is truly the best I've been doing research, and talking to people I know who have tortoises (my sister has a leopard (they do not come with in contact of one another)) is coconut husk okay? how do I monitor the humidity? at night I bring her enclosure into the garage for fear she may get chilly. ive been feeding her everyday and allowing her to graze, hoping im not over feeding. I just really want to get her healthy and happy and want her to feel secure because she has had so many owners. any helpful advice, tips, anything would be greatly appreciative. I am excited and hopeful for maui and my life as companions together::)

apromann4

5 Year Member
philippines
Look for toms threads, it will help you a lot

Sent from my S100 using TortForum mobile app

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:) At five she does need as high a humidity as the ones two and younger. Make her a humid hide to sleep in and yes coconut coir or any type of coconut bedding is fine. It will hold the moisture for a humid hide the best and won't mold. Letting her live outside during the day will allow her legs to get stronger. I'm sure their weak for not having the proper area to roam. Good for you for giving her a better life.

shanu303

5 Year Member
India
Hello Rayne and Welcome to TFO!! :) we'd love to see some pics :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Rayne, and welcome to the Forum!

If you are able to bring her outdoor enclosure inside at night, then it is too small for a tortoise of her size. Can you just let her have the whole back yard?

If your weather is anything like ours here in Central Calif., it is ok to leave her outside at night now. Once the weather is consistently over 50F at night I leave all my tortoises out 24/7. Of course, they all have sheds/dog houses to retire to.

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area
Welcome to another California member!

Status
Not open for further replies.