hello

Status
Not open for further replies.

chamema

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona- Mohave Desert
Hi everyone,
I have never done this before so forgive me if I am slow at catching on. haha Well I found a Tortiose roaming around my grandparents backyard yesterday. My family loves animals so we decided to take on the challenge of keeping it. I was reading some of the postings on here and I think it is a girl but I am not sure. I was hoping if i posted some pictures that maybe someone could tell me more about him/her.

Thanks so much
Chamema Family

Attachments

• DSC00975.JPG
    DSC00975.JPG
    75.5 KB · Views: 28
  • DSC00972.JPG
    DSC00972.JPG
    78.3 KB · Views: 32
  • DSC00974.JPG
    DSC00974.JPG
    94.5 KB · Views: 27
  • DSC00976.JPG
    DSC00976.JPG
    54.4 KB · Views: 23

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yes, its a girl, however before you all become too attached to her, you need to try to find her previous owner. They are probably VERY sad to find her gone.

Yvonne

chamema

5 Year Member
Arizona- Mohave Desert
Yes we are sure they would be very sad. So we have let everyone in the area know we have a tortise but we did not give any details about her features. We want to be sure we find her real family not just someone who wants her. She must have been missing for sometime, she was very dehydrated and absolutly starving.
Untill we find her family, what do we need to know to properly take care of her? Right now she spends the day in our backyard and the night in the warmest room in the house. Our backyard is like those you would find in a retirment area, all larger gravel rocks. Is that ok for her? Also we have been feeding her Romaine lettuce and carrots. But she wont eat the carrots. What do you recomend? We know she needs more nutrients then the Romaine. My aunt told me some other things they eat but I am so afraid I am going to get it wrong and feed her the wrong things.

Again thank you
Chamema Family

galvinkaos

5 Year Member
Temple City, Ca
Okay everyone be nice to my niece. I told her to come here and do some research and ask questions. I told her the people here are very nice and helpful. Amanda post your questions, etc in the DT area.

Dawna

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Its best for them to graze on grasses and weeds, but if you don't have access to that, then a nice variety of dark leafy greens is good...escarole, turnip greens, mustard, dandelion, etc. Not too much of the romaine.

Yvonne

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Hi Amanda welcome to the forum. Nice DT you have there. Hows that Dawna?

No really Amanda, welcome to the forum. :)

chamema

5 Year Member
Arizona- Mohave Desert
Crazy1 said:

No really Amanda, welcome to the forum. :)

Thank you for being nice. lol can you tell me anything about my tortiose? I know she is a girl but that is all I know.
Amanda

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Hi there! Welcome to the forum. Is the tort able to walk around on the rocks ok? I agree with the diet Yvonne posted. Spring Mix is great too (bagged kind, organic). Make sure the tort has access to a large shallow dish of water they can completely soak in. In will probably need to be sunk into something. They also need shade if you are keeping it outside. I'd make sure the area is secure. You may want to call a local vet and/or humane society to find more potential owners.

Is this for sure a DT? Looks like it to me as well but I'm not expert.

Please look up your local laws (not sure what state you are in). See if this could be a pet vs. wild. See what permit you may need if you decide to keep it. Also try these sites:

http://www.chelonia.org/articles/Gagassiziicare.htm
http://www.tortoise.org/general/descare.html
http://www.azgfd.gov/w_c/captive_tortoise_care.shtml
http://www.deserttortoise.org/answeringquestions/chapter2-1.html

Let us know more about how you are keeping it so far. Also, what state you are in. Thanks and welcome to the forum!

galvinkaos

5 Year Member
Temple City, Ca
Crazy1 said:

Very nice. Thank you Robyn and everyone else. :D

Amanda if you post pics of what you and Matt have set up for the tort it will help everyone see what else will make him/her more comfortable and if we can make any suggestions. I won't be out until the weekend of the 27th. Be aware of the monsoons too. You don't want him/her to drown.

Dawna

Status
Not open for further replies.