Help…heat lamp broken!

Nicnic2211

Location (City and/or State)
Uk
Hi all. I’m in crisis! My sulcata tortoise heat lamp has broken. (poorly made and huge complaint going to manufacture )
So I can’t get another one until mid week (have to order one as no shop to buy one in local area!) We have basking lamp and UV light but this does not keep enclosure warm enough as recommended (only at 20•c) Please give me ideas how I can keep his home warm enough for a couple of days…

Nicnic2211

Uk
@Tom Could help. Could you perhaps get a CHE?
A CHE, is that a ceramic heating element? I’m going to sound really simple but please could you describe what one of those is ? The heat lamp I had was a ceramic bulb in cage thing…forgive me that I don’t know what it is called properly! I’m in South Wales in the U.K. and there is not much around here for tortoise’s ?

Suey

England
Hi I’m in uk I always order from swell reptiles online, they are brilliant, if you order on a week day before 1’ 0 clockI think it is your order arrives the next day. I always like to keep a spare one in just in case. Just a shame it’s the weekend .

Nicnic2211

Uk
What sort of heat lamp are you using? Is it not possible to get one delivered quickly on Amazon prime ?
I had one of these (working until an hour ago!)
I’d love to get prime but where I live, next day delivery doesn’t exist ?
For now, I have turned off fogger as this brings temp down and I’ve put heating on in the house.
Tort is about 6 months old, so still needing baby care I believe!

Attachments

• 2FC67E9F-4EE4-4D64-A150-0BFBA3013B14.png
    2FC67E9F-4EE4-4D64-A150-0BFBA3013B14.png
    124.1 KB · Views: 14

Nicnic2211

Uk
Hi I’m in uk I always order from swell reptiles online, they are brilliant, if you order on a week day before 1’ 0 clockI think it is your order arrives the next day. I always like to keep a spare one in just in case. Just a shame it’s the weekend .
I’ve been using swell too and they are good, but can’t get it delivered until Wednesday ?

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Until you get a replacement bulb, use a regular incandescent bulb (not LED) and closely monitor temps. I’m sure you will get a new bulb by Monday afternoon (ish). Keep it on all day & night (just make sure you have a dark hide so your tort can get out of bright light at night).

Definitely turn any fogger/mister that you have.

Hope you have a lid on the enclosure?

TheLastGreen

Johannesburg
Ps - if you go the CHE route, make sure that you use a thermostat. Don’t just plug a CHE in unregulated.
Yes, also as Tom would say test, CHE depend on the enclosure type and size, continuously test if it is used and check what wattage you use.

ZenHerper

New Jersey
It's not ideal, but you can add a second incadescent flood bulb to get the temps up and keep that all-important 80*F overnight threshold. (Or if you can get the ambient room temp safely up that high?)

Make sure to have a large hide box where you can tuck Baby away from any bright light left on overnight.

Nicnic2211

Uk
I actually have the heat bulbs as I had bought spare, it’s the actual fitting/ source that has gone…I’ll attach photo so you can see, I’m just glad that Esio was not hurt! And trust me, I have not sugar coated anything in my communication to the manufacturer!
I’ve ordered new from Swell which should arrive in couple of days, I’ve turned fogger off and yes, there is a lid on the enclosure.
I was thinking of covering enclosure overnight when basking bulb is off to retain some of the heat… hubby thinks I’m overreacting ?

Attachments

• 9C1B010F-0FBF-4F40-84E1-B6B5C2BE1F58.jpeg
    9C1B010F-0FBF-4F40-84E1-B6B5C2BE1F58.jpeg
    629 KB · Views: 16
  • 3FD68152-4FB4-4DD0-BC56-AFCEDED3F518.jpeg
    3FD68152-4FB4-4DD0-BC56-AFCEDED3F518.jpeg
    758.5 KB · Views: 17
  • 49140DD2-DDBB-4077-9414-E5FE633889C4.jpeg
    49140DD2-DDBB-4077-9414-E5FE633889C4.jpeg
    693.3 KB · Views: 17

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
what kind of basking bulb do you have? Is this heating bulb compatible with the fitting/socket for the basking bulb?

The cage is recommended and a good idea, but a ceramic heat bulb should work just fine in a dome or plain socket.

Nicnic2211

Uk
what kind of basking bulb do you have? Is this heating bulb compatible with the fitting/socket for the basking bulb?

The cage is recommended and a good idea, but a ceramic heat bulb should work just fine in a dome or plain socket.
Good thinking! What I will do is change basking bulb in its dome socket to heat bulb and keep it on overnight at least.
Let’s hope delivery is quick!

TommytheRussian

Franklin
Hi all. I’m in crisis! My sulcata tortoise heat lamp has broken. (poorly made and huge complaint going to manufacture )
So I can’t get another one until mid week (have to order one as no shop to buy one in local area!) We have basking lamp and UV light but this does not keep enclosure warm enough as recommended (only at 20•c) Please give me ideas how I can keep his home warm enough for a couple of days…
Don't know how cold it is at your location. Live on the coast, never gets too cold. Have no heating lamp. Mine get cold, as they do in nature. Warm them up in the morning with a warm bath or UV

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Don't know how cold it is at your location. Live on the coast, never gets too cold. Have no heating lamp. Mine get cold, as they do in nature. Warm them up in the morning with a warm bath or UV
What are you talking about? Unless you are in the tropics, it certainly DOES get too cold for a sulcatas in the UK.

And UV doesn't warm them up. They need sunshine or an incandescent basking bulb for that.