Help! Baby sulcata health

Amyandjason

Location (City and/or State)
South mills Nc
I’m a new sulcata owner and when we received him from fedex he had a spot on the side of his face swollen and it’s not getting worse but still hasn’t healed. He’s eating great and gets around great. Not sure what If I should get him to a vet or try Neosporin first?

Attachments

• IMG_8962.jpeg
    IMG_8962.jpeg
    786.3 KB · Views: 3

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Unfortunately it seems you have got an injured or unhealthy tortoise. I would take him to a good reptile vet as soon as possible. @Yvonne G @wellington
First thing is not a vet visit unless it's something that can't be home treated. A vet mostly likely will do more harm than good.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
First thing is not a vet visit unless it's something that can't be home treated. A vet mostly likely will do more harm than good.
A Good Reptile Vet... would not do more harm than good. Any other vet I agree, should not be the first course of action.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
That's the problem. There aren't many good ones. Even a good reptile vet, doesn't get taught about tortoises or know much about them.
Experience is certainly key! For sure, I would not take any of my reptiles to ANY vet here in Jamaica ever again, having had a very bad and totally avoidable outcome years ago.

SuzanneZ

Georgetown
I’m a new sulcata owner and when we received him from fedex he had a spot on the side of his face swollen and it’s not getting worse but still hasn’t healed. He’s eating great and gets around great. Not sure what If I should get him to a vet or try Neosporin first?
Whatever it turns out to be, the seller knew it was there.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
If we could get some details of the setup and conditions of his enclosure, such as temperatures, lights, substrate and diet, and a few pictures, we would maybe be better able to make useful recommendations for the best treatment for him now.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Where did you get it? How are you housing it? Most breeders and sellers don't start the or house them correctly. What you can do is get it into the correct living conditions and give it the best care possible to help it recover.

Start here and look for the sulcata care sheet near the bottom: