Help! burned shell

Kcanalesnavarro

Location (City and/or State)
Los Angeles
Hello everyone,
I need help on how to clean my Sulcata wounds.
Like a year ago their house got on fire and the rest of them fled away from the fire but this one when I went, she was still the entrance of the house. She looked perfectly fine but after a week she started to show changes on her two front arms and shell. A couple of weeks ago some of her scoops fell out and she is damage from the bottom of her shell. The bottom is also felling off and have some parts that are pink. I bought some Neosporin but I would like to know how to properly clean her wounds before applying the Neosporin.

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Pictures please that would help

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello everyone,
I need help on how to clean my Sulcata wounds.
Like a year ago their house got on fire and the rest of them fled away from the fire but this one when I went, she was still the entrance of the house. She looked perfectly fine but after a week she started to show changes on her two front arms and shell. A couple of weeks ago some of her scoops fell out and she is damage from the bottom of her shell. The bottom is also felling off and have some parts that are pink. I bought some Neosporin but I would like to know how to properly clean her wounds before applying the Neosporin.
This is far beyond the scope of what an internet tortoise forum can offer. This is a case for an experienced vet to deal with.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Another opinion here for the vet! You're putting your tortoise's life in danger by trying to take care of this on your own. I have over thirty years in tortoise rescue and I've seen all kinds of injuries and illnesses. Even with all my experience I would never try to treat your tortoise's condition without first having a vet see him.

I know about vets being closed, however, they ARE handling emergencies, and your tort's condition IS an emergency!

Last edited:
L

LasTortugasNinja

burn marks and open wounds are where vets are definitely handy to have. They have access to meds, stitches, fancy bandages etc.

Kcanalesnavarro

Los Angeles
I’m trying to find a vet that specializes in tortoises so I can take her this week. Hopefully I can find one ASAP.
Here are some photos of her.

4D480045-C579-42F5-BB0E-7EEFB7BB5EC1.jpeg569AB3E9-EC83-47F8-A55B-3A98C9CD980B.jpeg53CE5BE7-B4BB-4DEB-B809-15CE34139133.jpeg2DDA7BC3-C75C-4AD5-9287-3177953F8E8F.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
This doesn't look like something new. it looks like old damage to me. I guess I didn't pay attention to your story. I was assuming you were dealing with fresh burns. What you're seeing is all new shell that grew UNDER the burned parts. Once the old burned parts have all new growth under them they pop off. This is all normal and healthy. No vet needed.

Last edited:

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Looks painful and uncomfortable. I agree professional care and attention required.

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
I am Just wondering but are the pink spots hard? Or fleshy? He is one lucky tortoise to survive a fire and cute

Kcanalesnavarro

Los Angeles
This doesn't look like something new. it looks like old damage to me. I guess I didn't pay attention to your story. I was assuming you were dealing with fresh burns. What you're seeing is all new shell that grew UNDER the burned parts. Once the old burned parts have all new growth under them they pop off. This is all normal and healthy. No vet needed.
Thank you for the info. And yeah, it happened like a year ago.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Question, should I be putting neosporin on the bottom and put some gauze???
No, like I said, this is new growth, just like the new growth that happens between the scutes. Medication will do nothing but attract dirt. It's new, healthy shell. If it still needed attention the old burned shell would not have popped off.

Sue Ann

chapin , South Carolina