Help! Desert tortoise runny nose

Robinbirdlady

Location (City and/or State)
CA
As he's sick, 85F is a better temperature until he gets better. After that 80F is fine.

You are right, that Kane mat leaves no space to get out of it and cool down and 18x18 will fit better.

Radiant heat panels will work better than mats when attached to the wall (either Vivarium Electronics or chicken brooder panels). As a suggestion - can you build something like a coffee table to put it into the dog house and make a "false ceiling" over the heat mat and attach a heat panel there?
Wonderful idea! I am going to get a radiant heat panel and do that. I can return the Kane mat.

And surprise surprise this didn’t work. I went outside to check the temperature and it was 76 in his home and 63 outside. So I brought him back into my tiny bathroom with the heater set to 85.

Do you think I can skip the vet appointment? I got one for next Tuesday. I just don’t want to be the person who lets it go and he gets pneumonia and dies. Right now he has snot and bubbles occasionally. It seems slightly better.

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Wonderful idea! I am going to get a radiant heat panel and do that. I can return the Kane mat.

And surprise surprise this didn’t work. I went outside to check the temperature and it was 76 in his home and 63 outside. So I brought him back into my tiny bathroom with the heater set to 85.

Do you think I can skip the vet appointment? I got one for next Tuesday. I just don’t want to be the person who lets it go and he gets pneumonia and dies. Right now he has snot and bubbles occasionally. It seems slightly better.
Mats heat the tortoise, not the air. The whole point is to bring his core body temperature to 85F.

One week is not enough to see drastical improvement. So you may postpone an appointment for a week or two.

I have mixed feelings about visiting vet:
1. Unless heating issue is sorted out, any medications won't work as they should. With proper heating light infections will heal on their own.
2. Vet can prescribe antibiotic shots "just because it's a respiratory infection". And it won't work with mycoplasma, for example.
3. Visiting vet is a stress for Alfred and stress is not good for a sick tortoise.

If you know that the vet is experienced with tortoises (not only with reptiles in general), it makes sense.

Robinbirdlady

CA
Mats heat the tortoise, not the air. The whole point is to bring his core body temperature to 85F.

One week is not enough to see drastical improvement. So you may postpone an appointment for a week or two.

I have mixed feelings about visiting vet:
1. Unless heating issue is sorted out, any medications won't work as they should. With proper heating light infections will heal on their own.
2. Vet can prescribe antibiotic shots "just because it's a respiratory infection". And it won't work with mycoplasma, for example.
3. Visiting vet is a stress for Alfred and stress is not good for a sick tortoise.

If you know that the vet is experienced with tortoises (not only with reptiles in general), it makes sense.
This all makes sense. I am learning so much.

I may have to build a whole new home because I’m realizing if I lower the roof the radiant heat panels in 80 watts are all a bit longer. This won’t allow Alfred to walk away to the cooler side of his house because it will be covering more than 50% of his house. Darn I really wanted to avoid building a new home but I probably have no choice. Oh well.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

I may have to build a whole new home because I’m realizing if I lower the roof the radiant heat panels in 80 watts are all a bit longer. This won’t allow Alfred to walk away to the cooler side of his house because it will be covering more than 50% of his house. Darn I really wanted to avoid building a new home but I probably have no choice. Oh well.
Like this:

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus

Maybe, you can get a smaller panel for now. Weather, I guess, is getting only better, so you won't need much power. And good insulation is probably, more important than raw heater power (and helps to save on electricity bills).

Robinbirdlady

CA
Like this:
Tom what radiant heat panel do you suggest for the top of this single tortoise box?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Tom what radiant heat panel do you suggest for the top of this single tortoise box?
I use the Vivarium Electronics one or the Sweeter Heater ones. Try kapidolofarms.com to get them. Get some good tired leaf options to mix into the food while you are there.

Robinbirdlady

CA
Maybe, you can get a smaller panel for now. Weather, I guess, is getting only better, so you won't need much power. And good insulation is probably, more important than raw heater power (and helps to save on electricity bills).
Hello, so an update and questions. Right now I am still bringing him in my house at night to keep him at 85 degrees. In the morning he wants out of the box he sleeps in so I bring him back out to his home and crank up the heat on those two pads. During the day his home stays 80-85. But it’s been a little colder and gloomy the past two days so he hasn’t come out. Is that normal? I have brought food into his home and he is eating. Today he ate a ton! But he goes right back to sleeping. I also noticed that before when I would tap his back foot he would pull it in. Now he does do that and it gives me quite a scare so I move him completely and he wakes up and looks at me. Hoping that’s just because he’s getting used to me and not because his cold is so bad. He doesn’t have snot all the time just occasionally and he lets me wipe it off without jerking his head in. I have read so many stories where the tortoises die so quickly from colds. I would be devastated. So I can’t help but worry. I am really hoping for a sunny day tomorrow so gets out and active again.

My husband can build his new home on Friday. I hope what I am doing is good enough to get him through this cold until I have a proper home. The new radiant heat panel is ordered along with a few other things.

Oh and I haven’t soaked him because it’s been so cold and gloomy. I should skip that on a cold day while he is sick right? I will do that tomorrow

Robinbirdlady

CA
Hello, so an update and questions. Right now I am still bringing him in my house at night to keep him at 85 degrees. In the morning he wants out of the box he sleeps in so I bring him back out to his home and crank up the heat on those two pads. During the day his home stays 80-85. But it’s been a little colder and gloomy the past two days so he hasn’t come out. Is that normal? I have brought food into his home and he is eating. Today he ate a ton! But he goes right back to sleeping. I also noticed that before when I would tap his back foot he would pull it in. Now he does do that and it gives me quite a scare so I move him completely and he wakes up and looks at me. Hoping that’s just because he’s getting used to me and not because his cold is so bad. He doesn’t have snot all the time just occasionally and he lets me wipe it off without jerking his head in. I have read so many stories where the tortoises die so quickly from colds. I would be devastated. So I can’t help but worry. I am really hoping for a sunny day tomorrow so gets out and active again.

My husband can build his new home on Friday. I hope what I am doing is good enough to get him through this cold until I have a proper home. The new radiant heat panel is ordered along with a few other things.

Oh and I haven’t soaked him because it’s been so cold and gloomy. I should skip that on a cold day while he is sick right? I will do that tomorrow

Robinbirdlady

CA
Also dumb question but is this normal back feet? All of those scales?

Attachments

• IMG_0503.jpeg
    IMG_0503.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 1

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus

You are doing great so far. You can give him a warm soak before putting to sleep in a box. He will stay hydrated and warm.

His appetite hints that he is getting better. If he doesn't want to roam the yard on gloomy days, I guess it's fine too (he stays in his comfort temperature zone, very wise of him).

Pulling legs when poked or touched is a normal reaction (it's their vulnerable part). Sometimes, it is used as a simple test that tortoise is alive.

I can't tell if his foot looks normal (I don't have enough knowledge for that). Someone like @Tom or @Yvonne G can tell for sure.

Robinbirdlady

CA
You are doing great so far. You can give him a warm soak before putting to sleep in a box. He will stay hydrated and warm.

His appetite hints that he is getting better. If he doesn't want to roam the yard on gloomy days, I guess it's fine too (he stays in his comfort temperature zone, very wise of him).

Pulling legs when poked or touched is a normal reaction (it's their vulnerable part). Sometimes, it is used as a simple test that tortoise is alive.

I can't tell if his foot looks normal (I don't have enough knowledge for that). Someone like @Tom or @Yvonne G can tell for sure.
Thank you for your reply. I am so eager to get this new home made. But I am at the mercy of the builder haha.

But he isn’t pulling his leg in anymore. He’s sleeping and just lets me touch it and move it around a bit. I have to actually move his whole body and then he moves and wakes up. Gives me quite a scare. Would his lack of jerking his foot in be because he’s sleeping so deeply, used to me bugging him or hopefully not because he’s sick.

Yes I worry way to much about my animals

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Thank you for your reply. I am so eager to get this new home made. But I am at the mercy of the builder haha.

But he isn’t pulling his leg in anymore. He’s sleeping and just lets me touch it and move it around a bit. I have to actually move his whole body and then he moves and wakes up. Gives me quite a scare. Would his lack of jerking his foot in be because he’s sleeping so deeply, used to me bugging him or hopefully not because he’s sick.

Yes I worry way to much about my animals
Perhaps, he's got used to it. You can try to pull his leg gently - he should pull it in. Anyway, a tortoise with a good appetite is usually not deadly sick.

Worry about your animals is good. Especially, when it's your first tortoise and has signs of sickness. They don't give us easy clues about their well-being (like fever and whining about pain) so being attentive is better than ignore the subtle hints.

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
No Way are you worrying to much. Tortoises give very little clues when they are sick, so your diligence in monitoring everything you can will just help you catch something as soon as possible. It is the ones that don't worry about their animals that run in to serious issues to late. I say Great Job.

Robinbirdlady

CA
No Way are you worrying to much. Tortoises give very little clues when they are sick, so your diligence in monitoring everything you can will just help you catch something as soon as possible. It is the ones that don't worry about their animals that run in to serious issues to late. I say Great Job.
Well thank you for that. I appreciate it. I work hard for my animals. Yesterday was sunny so he was out and about moving all over my yard and it made me so happy. Once we get his proper home set up I will feel much better. But I grow all of his food so he sure is spoiled. He gets fresh mulberry leaves, dandelions, mallow, cactus pads (found the non prickly ones so I am propagating a lot of them), mustard leaves, escrole, a tiny bit of kale and a pinch of calcium twice a week.

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
Well thank you for that. I appreciate it. I work hard for my animals. Yesterday was sunny so he was out and about moving all over my yard and it made me so happy. Once we get his proper home set up I will feel much better. But I grow all of his food so he sure is spoiled. He gets fresh mulberry leaves, dandelions, mallow, cactus pads (found the non prickly ones so I am propagating a lot of them), mustard leaves, escrole, a tiny bit of kale and a pinch of calcium twice a week.
Great Job. The home will help you feel better but I'm pretty sure you will still have some things to worry about, thats LOVE.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
He gets fresh mulberry leaves, dandelions, mallow, cactus pads (found the non prickly ones so I am propagating a lot of them), mustard leaves, escrole, a tiny bit of kale and a pinch of calcium twice a week.
All of this sounds great! Opuntia is one of their natural foods in the wild.

Also look for sow thistle, thistle, prickly lettuce, bristly ox tongue, broad and narrow leaf plantain, grape leaves, rose leaves (make sure they aren't treated with chemicals...), lavatera leaves and flowers, plant some squashes or pumpkins for the leaves and blooms... The list is endless.

Robinbirdlady

CA
Like this:
Hello Tom,

Do you have a list of supplies for the single sized tortoise box? My husband is finally home and ready to build today. But we only see a list of supplies for the 4x8 box.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I don't. You'd essentially half the materials. He'll have to figure out what will be needed. The 4x8 supply sheet should be a good starting point. Instead of 7 sheets of plywood, you only need 4 for a 4x4x2 box.

Robinbirdlady

CA
I don't. You'd essentially half the materials. He'll have to figure out what will be needed. The 4x8 supply sheet should be a good starting point. Instead of 7 sheets of plywood, you only need 4 for a 4x4x2 box.
Tom do you have any close ups of how you hinged the door on this thing? When we do it there is a gap but on one of your images it appears flush. This thing is quite the build haha. Hopefully he can have this for many many years because with the price of lumber and the panels it’s costing over $1,000.