Respiratory prob or normal.

bprimm

Location (City and/or State)
Corona
Hello new keeper here. My desert tortoise I adopted a few weeks ago had a runny nose which escalated into bubbling and some wheezing sounds. Had him checked at vet who said it was uri and flushed his sinus or whatever it is and gave him two separate doses of antibiotics. Has gotten much better. Sometimes his nose will be a little moist once it was running in the week since last antibiotics. He is outside all day and night and sleeps in a shell of a two piece dog house. In corona ca The yard ground temp averages 103 in the sun and 86 in the shaded area where he hangs out after his morning sun bath and before 4-6 grazing. His night house that I secure him in and close door with a blanket has never gone below 72. I have no artificial heat source for him. Should I? I’ve Heard suggestions for a heat pad in his night house? If so recommendations please? He is active and eating so I’m wondering if the wet/runny nose is normal or if any of you deal with a tortoise like this. Thanks

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
He's fine. The other end of the nares ends up in the roof of his mouth, not down the throat into the lungs, so sometimes you might see wet nostrils from whatever may be in his mouth at the time. The only time I worry is if the "bubbles" turn to colored mucous and he stops eating. However, if the bubbling starts to be constant, you might consider putting a radiant heat panel in the shelter and turn it on at night.