Help Eye problems Hermann's

SaraNaShell

Location (City and/or State)
Seneca, South Carolina
I have a hermann's hatchling that I got in July. I kept him outside during the summer. I live in SC. He did great. Since I've brought him in though, he has white looking eyes, or it will look like he cant open his eyes :( He will soak in water for several minutes too with his head under. I'm worried. Does anyone know what this could be?

2014-10-31 19.17.41.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
The head under the water, is your tortoise drinking, so no worries there. As for the eyes, a tortoise's eyes are excellent indicators of it's health. Could you get a nice clear pic. of the eyes.

SaraNaShell

Seneca, South Carolina
Yeah, I'll get a clear pic of the little guy's eye in the morning.. I'm regretting purchasing the bigger one, I got him at petsmart and the said it was a hermann's, I didn't think they looked the same though.

SaraNaShell

Seneca, South Carolina
Yeah, I'm going to get rid of the big one. Sheldon (my baby) was in great health until I had to bring him inside and that was also when I got the other tort

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
What kind of bulb are you using? What are the two tortoises housed outdoors together also? Are the humidity levels different indoors versus outdoors? Make a list of everything that is different before and after the eye symptoms started.then hopefully you can narrow down the issue.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Even if they are the same species you don't want to house a big one and a little one together. And you should quarantine any new tortoise . I don't know if any of the Mediterranean species really get along well in pairs anyway. I hope your little guy gets better very soon.

SaraNaShell

Seneca, South Carolina
That's an upclose, however you can't really tell the problem with the eyes. It's like he has a hard time opening them. They open up very very slowly and one at a time. The Russian tortoise has gone to a new home and Sheldon actually seems a little better with him being gone.

WillTort2

5 Year Member
What type of substrate are you using and is it slightly moist? Dry substrate can irritate the eyes.

Iochroma

5 Year Member
San Francisco
The lighting I use is All Living Things Neodymium Basking Bulb 100w with UVA during the day. At night, I use a 150w Night black heat bulb.

Why don't you try switching to a proper UVB bulb and see if that solves the issue.