help finding safe trees

Papillon17

Location (City and/or State)
Las Vegas
Hello everyone, can anyone help me. I have looked online and youtube but cant seem to find a safe tree to plant for my baby. Many plants and bushes but im looking for a nice tree to put in his enlcosure. If anyone can help I would really appreciate it thank you.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
I have CA pepper trees, and a palo verde. The palo verde blooms yellow flowers...my tort eats them. For bushes, tacoma stans is very pretty with yellow flowers. You can also plant rosemary. Torts aren't inclined to eat it, but it's safe and makes a sizeable bush.

You could plant non fruit bearing mulberry for another tree.

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
Hello everyone, can anyone help me. I have looked online and youtube but cant seem to find a safe tree to plant for my baby. Many plants and bushes but im looking for a nice tree to put in his enlcosure. If anyone can help I would really appreciate it thank you.
Depending on available space and your climate, you could try a rose of Sharon (Hibiscus syriacus) which can produce some lovely flowers.

A mulberry bush (Morus spp.) also provides good salad leaves, however, do be mindful of the tortoise's access to excessive mulberry fruit.

Another option is an elm tree (Ulmus spp.). If you're able to find one, do note that they can grow quite tall.

You can find more tortoise-safe plant options at The Tortoise Table.

turtlesteve

10 Year Member!
In Las Vegas? Any palm tree that will live there is tortoise safe. I’d try Washingtonia filifera or any of the date palms (Phoenix dactlyifera or Phoenix canariensis) as these are the more common palms that thrive in hot dry climates. Any of the Brahea palms will do OK too, but less common.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I vote for a fruitless mulberry. The leaves are excellent tortoise food. Good shade in summer, and full sun when the leaves drop off for winter.

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
I vote for a fruitless mulberry. The leaves are excellent tortoise food. Good shade in summer, and full sun when the leaves drop off for winter.
I love my mulberry so far! It's finally growing enough leaves where I can let my tortoise browse on it and he is really liking it. :)

ColumbiaJane

5 Year Member
Fruitless mulberry is a great food source and a fast growing tree. However, the roots are VERY invasive. They will seek our any water source so beware.

lovee50

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chula Vista, CA
Are the leaves from a fruit bearing mulberry tree ok to give them? It’s not my tree but I have access to the leaves.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Are the leaves from a fruit bearing mulberry tree ok to give them? It’s not my tree but I have access to the leaves.
Yes. Totally fine. I just wouldn't want to feed them the fruit unless you had a box turtle or a forest tort species.