Help for the prospective tort owner (me)!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bottomlessfloor

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Virginia
Hi everyone!

My name is Danny and i just joined this morning. I have owned reptiles for over a decade now, including picky frogs and geckos, large(ish) snakes, skinks and others.

I have never owned a tortoise.

I've always believed that tortoises are special and have much higher demands than other reptiles. They also live an incredibly long time and I feel they need to enter into a stable environment so they can be with the same family forever. That's why I've waited until now before considering getting a tortoise. I only want one tortoise and i want him/her for life.

So, all that being considered, what species of tort would all of you suggest as a pet? Here's the bulletpoints:

• Live in Virginia
  • Have about an Acre for the Tort.
  • Experienced with reptiles
  • Would like somthing that gets Large(ish) if possible

As an extra credit question, What do you think we should expect out of owning a Tortoise? For example, someone who buys a bamboo rat snake should not expect to sit down and watch tv with it. Similarly, you should expect to observe and appreciate a Tokay gecko, not cuddle it.

Thank you in advance for any advice friends, I'm very serious about the prospect of bringing a tort into the family and want to make sure i make the right decisions.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Danny:

Its good to see you searching for answers before jumping in with both feet.

Some tortoise species are just pretty rocks, and I get a lot of enjoyment out of them, as do lots of others, just sitting and watching them be a tortoise.

Some species are more interactive and look to you as the food god. It is quite rewarding to have one of those kind.

You might really enjoy having a sulcata tortoise. But please, please...before you get one, be sure you know what you're getting into. They get big. They don't respect their boundaries or your property. But, they are very friendly and quite social. Besides tearing up your yard and demolishing your outdoor furniture, sulcatas have to be kept warm in the winter. Its quite a chore to provide the space plus the heat required for a sulcata in the winter...but it can be done. Do a "search" for "Bob." Bob is a 100lb sulcata with tons of personality. I especially enjoyed the sprinkler story.

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
Hey Danny,

I was more or less like before I got my first tortoise last year. Had lots of experience with other herps (always more of a snake guy!), but never had a desire or space for the alleged slow-paced lifestyle of a large chelonian. Now I have a juvenile sulcata and a baby redfoot. Love 'em both!

While my experience with tortoises is still not much, given everything I've learned in the past year, I would say that based on your general experience with reptiles, and a reasonably large outdoor space to work with, pretty much any species you set your mind to (and research, obviously) you could feasibly keep.

Some get larger than others, some are more outgoing, all have different dietary needs, different colors, etc. Start window shopping to see which species appeals to you!

Shelly

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Southern California
emysemys said:
sulcatas have to be kept warm in the winter. Its quite a chore to provide the space plus the heat required for a sulcata in the winter.

This is probably the single most important issue if you choose a tortoise that does not hibernate, and most (if not all) large tortoises do not.
If you can deal with that issue somehow, it sounds like you'd make an excellent tortoise owner.

bottomlessfloor

5 Year Member
Virginia
Ok thanks guys! Yvonne i looked up Bob and i must say that sulcatas seem very intimidating right now... I have built insulated sheds with built in heat for piglets before, could i build something similar to that, just warmer?

I like the idea of a friendly, social tortoise, however a 100 pounder? there are so many things to consider when preparing for a pet that size!

I'm currently researching the two mentioned above: sulcatas and redfoots, any other suggestions i should check out let me know! Thanks!

Rover15

5 Year Member
ontario canada
If your looking up red foots try yellows as well they are a bit harder to find but very simular to the red foot as far as care and needs I'm currently in the same situation as you I've waited to get my tort but my girlfriend and I have fallen in love with yellow foots just extreamly hard to get here in ontario but deffinitly worth looking at

lovelyrosepetal

5 Year Member
Oklahoma
You want a large(ish) tortoise but the sulcata seems a bit intimidating, I would maybe go with a leopard tortoise. They are absolutely beautiful and are not quite as big as the sulcata species. I personally have three sulcatas and would love a star, indian or burmese makes no difference to me. There are a lot of great breeders on this site. You should pm them and decide what kind to get. Good luck with your tortoise journey.:)

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
Welcome to the forum!

Isn't Virginia a bit on the humid side? I don't own a redfoot, but I understand that they thrive in humid areas.
Keep us posted. Can't wait to see what animal you choose. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.