Help! Found a tortoise...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alan RF

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
United Kingdom
A week today :) but my friend said he'd been spotted 3 days before in people's gardens after she found him in the middle of our road :(

jjsull33 said:
How long have you had him now?

My husband thinks even if the owner came in a month its rightfully theirs. It would be a very sad day for me.

Alan RF

5 Year Member
United Kingdom
lynnedit said:
He really has a cute face. I bet he has a lot of character!

He does! He certainly keeps us entertained! He's just gone under his food dish and basically dug a hole so his front end is dug in and his back end has his legs dangling but he's gone to sleep lol [SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH AND TIGHTLY-CLOSED EYES]

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Ha, ha!
I think some people 'let their tortoises go to be free' as well. If you haven't seen anything by now...but I guess they could be on holidays.

Alan RF

5 Year Member
United Kingdom
lynnedit said:
Ha, ha!
I think some people 'let their tortoises go to be free' as well. If you haven't seen anything by now...but I guess they could be on holidays.

We keep thinking they are on holiday as its to soon to get excited! ;) will give it another week or so but planning the outside enclosure for Alan and him but with a tall wall between them ...it's next weekends project because we've had a family wedding this weekend :)

Alan RF

5 Year Member
United Kingdom
ImageUploadedByTortForum1373997043.723086.jpg
He certainly loves eating dandelions! :)

Just moved away from eating his dandelion and done a poo! However, I'm concerned now about the content!!! What do you think?
ImageUploadedByTortForum1373997748.312991.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
He might have gotten into something on his travels, or might be urates mixed in. The important thing is that he is expelling it, and he is acting healthy.
Keep soaking him every other day just in case for a week or two more, then 1-2x per week.

Alan RF

5 Year Member
United Kingdom
Phew! My heart sank! I love this little man! It's consistency is the same as the poo and he does seem healthy! Bright and very alert until about 630pm then he zonked for the night! I'm soaking him now-bit later than usual and it seems like he has more as he's pushing!

Alan RF

5 Year Member
United Kingdom
ImageUploadedByTortForum1374333559.055294.jpg
'Im so tired under this basking light!'
Awwww love him x

Last edited by a moderator:

Alan RF

5 Year Member
United Kingdom
lynnedit said:
That means he is comfortable and feels safe in his new home :)

He is totally sprawled out! Zonked! Lol x its been cooler today so I've bought a basking heat bulb but plan to buy a mvb bulb in a few weeks when I'm certain his owners are obviously not bothered or putting any effort into finding him x

*misskerrimoo*

5 Year Member
That's a darling picture! :D do you reckon he could've been roaming a LONG time? As in months or so? Maybe he was looking for YOU. :) he might've heard how good you take care of your tortie, & made his journey to see if you'd love on him too. ;)

MY BEAUTIFUL CHILDREN:

3.2.0 Cats (Neeko, Bootsie, Bean (Special Needs), Puff (Special needs), Pokie)
1.0.0 Dog (Sidney (Special needs))
2.0.0 Bearded Dragons (Lochey & Zane (Special needs))
2.1.0 Leopard Geckos (Hopper, Spanky-Butt (Special needs), Rumi)
0.0.1 Greek Tortoise Hatchling (Mookie-Boo - Ibera species)
0.0.2 Fire Bellied Toads (Ellie, Teddy)
0.0.1 Emporer Scorpion (Mr. Pickles)
1.0.0 Betta Fish (Mr. Pook-Pook)

the567spud

5 Year Member
Do what you are doing and put sights up around your neighborhood. Also look for lost Russians on the interwebs.

Edward. B

Alan RF

5 Year Member
United Kingdom
the567spud said:
Do what you are doing and put sights up around your neighborhood. Also look for lost Russians on the interwebs.

Edward. B

I've knocked on every other door
And FLINTUS has put a link for me to this forum and it works because I've pretended to be the owner lol! I do think I've covered everything for this little tort :)

*misskerrimoo* said:
That's a darling picture! :D do you reckon he could've been roaming a LONG time? As in months or so? Maybe he was looking for YOU. :) he might've heard how good you take care of your tortie, & made his journey to see if you'd love on him too. ;)

MY BEAUTIFUL CHILDREN:

3.2.0 Cats (Neeko, Bootsie, Bean (Special Needs), Puff (Special needs), Pokie)
1.0.0 Dog (Sidney (Special needs))
2.0.0 Bearded Dragons (Lochey & Zane (Special needs))
2.1.0 Leopard Geckos (Hopper, Spanky-Butt (Special needs), Rumi)
0.0.1 Greek Tortoise Hatchling (Mookie-Boo - Ibera species)
0.0.2 Fire Bellied Toads (Ellie, Teddy)
0.0.1 Emporer Scorpion (Mr. Pickles)
1.0.0 Betta Fish (Mr. Pook-Pook)

I'd like to think this! It's very difficult not to get to attached but unfortunately I have! He's awesome!

Alan RF

5 Year Member
United Kingdom
3 weeks and heard/seen nothing! I don't understand how anyone can't miss him :( I'd miss him if the owner collected him! I think I'm going to have to start reading up about hibernating! This is why I got a red foot because they don't! I'm scared about the whole thing so I might need some advice nearer the time! My biggest scare is he dies because I did it wrong :(

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Don't hibernate his first year. Keep him inside with good basking temps and lights on 12-14 hours per day. He may stop eating much, and be less active, but soak him a couple of times per week and you will make it through the winter.

That will allow you to make sure he is in top form, and give you more time to research this.

(sounds like he has a new home... ;) )

Alan RF

5 Year Member
United Kingdom
lynnedit said:
Don't hibernate his first year. Keep him inside with good basking temps and lights on 12-14 hours per day. He may stop eating much, and be less active, but soak him a couple of times per week and you will make it through the winter.

That will allow you to make sure he is in top form, and give you more time to research this.

(sounds like he has a new home... ;) )

Do you think as an adult he'll of been in hibernation before? Sounds a good idea because I'm not looking forward to it! But i dont want to unbalance his cycle either. He seems healthy enough! And yes he loves his new home :)

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
You don't have to brumate (might as well use the super correct term ;) ) a tortoise, as far as we know.
So skipping a year (or more) won't hurt him.

Now, if he 'goes down' in his substrate and 'tells' you he wants to hibernate (despite good temps and lighting), then you can wind him down in his tortoise table in late Autumn and go from there. But that simply may not happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.