Help Genie

Status
Not open for further replies.

starkid

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
today when i came frm school i saw genie was acting very hyper. he was walking around his enclosure very excitedly and when i offered him food he ignored it . after a lot of time finally he ate it but was still very hyper hes not ready to sleep. its night now and i've done mostly evrything to calm him down hes still like that. i've put hm in water, maybe hes thirsty . . . . is he sick?? plz reply . . . .

he just drank a bit of water still looking very hyper

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
USA
How warm is your enclosure? Being to warm would explain the hyper behavior.

Danny

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Washington
I agree. You need to check your temperatures as the seasons change. Even a 5 degree increase more than usual can change a tort's behavior. As summer approaches you can easily see 10 degree differences in enclosures or more (bad!).

See if you need to raise your heating/lighting. Make sure there are some cool areas in the enclosure. Try to increase hydration as well with soaking more often, moisten the food if possible, etc.

I'm not sure about Stars, but check what temperature range is appropriate. If the lowest temperature is more than the middle of the range, then you need to cool them down quickly. When we get a big heat wave here I will even go so far as to turn off my MVB bulb and turn on a regular light bulb over my tort. As long as they get a little UVB every day, or a good amount every other day, for example, they are ok. Better to have a short UVB day than be overheated.

I think in the wild it is easier for a tort to get shade than in an indoor captive enclosure (such as a burrow, cave, etc). This is a reason we need to keep a close eye on temperature.

I would check this first. If you are still seeing the behavior a day after changing this then I would start to think about other possibilities. Please report back!

Status
Not open for further replies.