Help!!! (grey poop)

Ben02

Location (City and/or State)
Brighton, Southcoast, UK
hi my young spur thigh tortoise Just pooed and it looked a bit like grey clay, she has not eaten much for a few days and I thought it was just as it was getting cooler. Any advice would be much appreciated

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It might have been urates. Do you soak the tortoise daily?

Ben02

Brighton, Southcoast, UK
Yep I soak them daily, more so for the one mentioned as she has been having gritty urates. But this was like a normal tortoise poo but grey

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi Ben, what are you feeding him at the moment?
Another consideration may be his substrate.
What do you use and do you think he could be eating that?
Maybe post a pic of his poop to see if anyone can help.

Ben02

Brighton, Southcoast, UK
I'm feeding her florettes lettuce mix, dandelion, clover and a bit of plantain. I just changed the substrate to orchid bark. She is running around as we speak but she has not eaten anything.

Ben02

Brighton, Southcoast, UK
Thank you all, I've kinda broken my no pellet rule as I don't like using them. Sh eaten a couple so maybe that's made it change colour.( it's usually black)

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I'm so happy, I gave her another bath put it under her heat lamp, she ate a bit of dandelion. Now she's gone to bed
If the pellets are suitable for your tortoise then use it like a treat now and then. It will show up in their poo but that means every thing came out ok. I've yet to find one I like for my Russian but that's just my opinion. There's many people on tortoise forum that know more about your tortoise. Isn't it funny how a tortoise's mom just lays eggs and leaves her kids for us to take care of?

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I'm so happy, I gave her another bath put it under her heat lamp, she ate a bit of dandelion. Now she's gone to bed
Keep an eye on the temps and double check it to make sure it's right for your species because as you know they won't eat if they are too cold.
I have a couple of digital type thermometers - one with a probe and a digital temp gun to make sure.
Glad to hear she seems better.
My leopard has days when he won't even come out of his hide unless I take him out for a soak, and he will not touch any food....I may be wrong but I think they can sense the seasonal changes from the daylight even though the temps may be the same.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Keep an eye on the temps and double check it to make sure it's right for your species because as you know they won't eat if they are too cold.
I have a couple of digital type thermometers - one with a probe and a digital temp gun to make sure.
Glad to hear she seems better.
My leopard has days when he won't even come out of his hide unless I take him out for a soak, and he will not touch any food....I may be wrong but I think they can sense the seasonal changes from the daylight even though the temps may be the same.
I think my tortoise can feel the underground changes in the earth. He starts begging to go outside in mid or late February. And there's still snow on the ground for God's sake. I have to wait until the temperature is higher at ground level but always know when spring starts. My tortoise is the best weather dude.